Halcyon Radiation Therapy System
What is the HalcyonTM Radiation Therapy System?
HalcyonTM Radiation Therapy System is the latest and most advanced system that has transformed radiation therapy by providing sophisticated, highly targeted cancer treatment with precision and accuracy. It delivers high quality care by optimizing 3D conformal, intensity- modulated radiation therapy (IMRT), image-guided radiotherapy (IGRT) and RapidArc® radiotherapy treatments.
Why is it done?
HalcyonTM Radiation Therapy System allows to treat wide range of cancers of the head and neck, lungs, breasts, prostate, uterus and brain etc. to name a few. With Halcyon’s next generation dual-layer multi-leaf collimator (MLC), complex target cases can be treated successfully.
What happens during the procedure?
- Visualization of Tumour: With the help of quick imaging, tumour can be visualized and accurately targeted. Through a detailed 3D image, your doctor will now know the precise location, shape and size of the tumor. This will further help in determining the appropriate dose of radiation to be given and how to deliver it effectively.
- Planning of Treatment: The 3D image works as a guide to your doctor for developing a detailed treatment plan. This plan includes radiation dose that the cancer cells should receive and from which angles. During this phase, a treatment schedule will also be developed.
- Delivery of Treatment: During the treatment, your Radiation Therapist (RT) will position you on the treatment table and ensure that you are comfortable. Just prior to treatment, the RT will take the image to verify the exact size and location of the tumor.
Radiation will be delivered by a linear accelerator (linac), which will rotate around you as it projects the beam. The radiation beam from the treatment system conforms to the shape of your tumor thus minimizing impact on surrounding healthy tissue. You won’t be able to see anything rotating around you, as the rotating beam gantry is enclosed within the opening.
Integrated camera system and two-way intercom allows you to be in constant contact with your therapist.
How long will it take?
The course of treatment varies from patient to patient depending upon the diagnosis. However, HalcyonTM Radiation Therapy System is four times faster than standard technology and the entire process take only a few minutes.
What happens after the procedure?
A follow-up visit will be scheduled with your doctor during which your progress will be monitored by your doctor. You can also discuss your concern about the treatment or any side-effects that you are experiencing.
Apollo expertise in the procedure
Apollo Hospitals, continues to bring advanced medical technology and delivers cutting-edge treatments at par. We have been a leader in enhancing the cancer treatment in India. We have Apollo Cancer Center across centres in India with the highly skilled Apollo Oncology Team delivering high quality treatments to cancer patients.
Any info on which Apollo Hospitals do it
Apollo Gleneagles Hospitals, Kolkata was the first hospital to introduce HalcyonTM Radiation Therapy System in Eastern India.
Get in touch
To book an appointment, click here
How I am benefitted as a patient?
- A wide bore that reduces anxiety for patient who feel claustrophobic.
- Integrated camera and intercom ensures closer connection between you and your doctor.
- More precise and targeted treatment.
- Minimizes the impact on surrounding healthy tissue.
- Quick and efficient treatment.
- Low treatment couch makes it easier for get on and off.
- Machine motion is quiet and comfortable.
How is HalcyonTM Radiation Therapy System superior than standard technology?
- Fast: Imaging can be completed in 15 seconds and treatment is completed in just 9 steps. HalcyonTM Radiation Therapy System is four times faster than standard technology and generally most of the treatment is completed in 10 minutes.
- Precise: Tumors are targeted with pinpoint precision due to dual-layer multi-leaf collimator (MLC), a device that conforms shape of the beam to the tumor.
- Comprehensive: A comprehensive treatment for brain, head and neck, prostate, lungs, uterus and breast cancers.
- Comfortable: Wide bore and low treatment table provide comfort to the patient during treatment. Additionally, imaging and treatment component are enclosed, hence you will not see anything rotating around you.
- Safety: A closer connection is established between patient and doctor with the help of integrated camera and intercom. Thus, your doctor or therapist can monitor you closely and speak with you. An accidental bumping into the bore during the treatment will be detected by the collision detection system, thus pausing the treatment and motion immediately.
Is there any side effect of the treatment?
The common side effects can include fatigue, nausea, skin changes etc. The side effects vary from patient to patient and usually depends on the body area that is being treated with radiotherapy. Your doctor will explain to you in detail about side effects that you might experience.
When can I resume my daily activities after the treatment?
You might feel fatigue shortly after treatment or after a few sessions of radiotherapy. You can resume your daily activities if you do not feel tired, after your doctor gives you clearance.
UPDATED ON 31/01/2023