Department of Gastroenterology Achievements
- Launch of Advanced Integrated Comprehensive Liver Care Network by Apollo Hospitals, Madurai.
- Indraprastha Apollo Hospital, Delhi successfully performs liver transplant on One-year-old child from Kenya.
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai successfully performs Asia’s first en-bloc combined heart & liver transplant, joining a very small set of transplant centers in the world to have done this.
- Apollo’s Centre for Liver Disease and Transplantation has completed 500 Liver transplants in a short time span with a success rate of over 90 percent
- 345 liver transplantations done at Apollo Chennai’s Center for Liver Disease
- Apollo Hospitals saves the life of 3 individuals; achieves the feat of transplanting the liver of a single donor into two adult recipients; successfully performs an isolated intestinal transplantation and transplants the abdominal wall – the first ever case in South India, all from the organs of a single donor
- Apollo Gleneagles Hospitals, Kolkata launches India’s first Cellvizio System
- The Apollo Transplant Program is the busiest program in the world, having performed 23000 transplants. First program in India to cross the landmark of 18500 Kidney Transplants, 4300 Liver Transplants and 500 Pediatric Liver Transplants.
- In the last 24 months, 775 liver transplants have been performed with a success rate of 90%.
- More than 1850 liver transplants have been performed.
- By completing 1200 solid organ transplants in a single calendar year, the Transplant programme of the Apollo hospitals is the first program in the world to cross the 900 barrier in transplantation and in doing so also has become the busiest program of its kind in the world.
- First Successful:
- Pediatric liver transplant at Apollo Delhi in 1998
- Liver-kidney transplant at Apollo Delhi in 1999
- Pediatric living related liver transplant in Apollo Delhi in 1999
- Liver transplant for HIV at Apollo Delhi in 2008
- Cadaver liver transplant in India
- Living liver transplant for Portal Biliopathy in 2009 at Apollo Delhi
- Liver transplant for Hepatitis B without using immunoglobulin’s in 2008 at Apollo Delhi
- 100 cadaveric liver transplants in Apollo Chennai since 2007
- Youngest pediatric liver transplant in India at Apollo Delhi in 2008
- 1st international air rescue for a patient with acute liver failure in 2010
- The liver transplant team at Apollo Hospitals, Chennai completed 200 liver transplants
- Apollo Hospitals, Chennai successfully performed a multi-organ transplant, a complex procedure for the first time in India giving a middle-aged man a new liver, intestine and pancreas.
- Apollo Gleneagles Hospitals, Kolkata launches India’s first Department of Comprehensive Hernia Surgery in 2019
- A minimally invasive gastroenterology procedure using Spy Colangioscopy with Electrohydraulic Lithotripsy was done for the first time in the state of Karnataka by Apollo BGS Hospitals, Mysore on a 59-year-old man in 2019.
- Apollo Multispecialty Hospitals, Kolkata has introduced Eastern India’s first Power Spiral Enteroscopy to diagnose and treat gastrointestinal tract diseases.
UPDATED ON 15/11/2023
Apollo Highlights & Updates
Doctors at Apollo Hospitals, Chennai use a synergistic device strategy to treat complex heart blocks....
On the occasion of National Cancer Awareness Day, Apollo Proton Cancer Centre has launched Centre of Excellence for Head...