Clinical Fellowship of Apollo Hospitals Education and Research Foundation (Academics-Clinical-Fellowship-AHERFF)
Clinical Fellowship accredited by Apollo Hospitals Educational and Research Foundation (AHERF) was started in the year 2013.
As per policy, these fellowships are being offered by Apollo in those specialties where no or limited training programs exist in India.
There is a defined eligibility criteria and duration of fellowship which is aligned to the intake months of post graduate and DNB entrance examinations. Candidates with MBBS qualification will also be eligible for certain fellowships.
73 seats have been approved in the 48 specialties at 15 Apollo Group locations to run the Clinical Fellowship.
Clinical Fellows who have successfully completed their training and examination were conferred with certificate of Clinical Fellowship of AHERF in the respective specialty.
- Adult Interventional Cardiology
- Allergy and Clinical Immunology
- Applied Clinical Medicine
- Arthroscopy & Sport Medicine
- Bone Marrow Transplant and Cellular Therapy
- Breast Oncosurgery
- Cardiac / CTVS Anaesthesia
- Clinical Apheresis
- Clinical Genetics
- Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Disease
- Clinical Nephrology
- Colorectal Surgery
- Coronary Imaging and Physiology
- Critical Care Nephrology
- Developmental Pediatrics
- Diagnostic and Interventional Neuroradiology
- Emergency Neurology
- Endoscopy in Gastroenterology
- Genitourinary surgery
- Gynae Oncosurgery
- Head and Neck Oncologic surgery
- Hyperbaric Medicine
- Implantation Otology
- Interventional Cardiology
- Interventional Pulmonology
- Interventional Radiology
- Liver Transplant Anaesthesia
- Liver Transplant and HPB surgery
- Minimal access and robotic surgery in Gynaecology
- Minimally invasive neurosurgery (Brain & Spine) – Guwahati
- Nuclear Medicine
- Pediatric and Adolescent Endocrinology
- Pediatric Cardiac Critical Care
- Pediatric Urology
- Radiation Oncology
- Renal Dialysis
- Renal Transplant surgery
- Spine Surgery
- Stroke in Neurology
- Transfusion Medicine
- Transplant Nephrology
- Vascular/ Endovascular surgery
Apollo Group locations where Clinical Fellowship of AHERF have been approved
- ASH Chennai
- Navi Mumbai
Number of Seats Approved: 73
The Head and Neck Surgical Oncology, two years fellowship program is open to those who have completed their Masters in General Surgery, ENT or Oral and Maxillo-Facial surgery. The recommended program is for two years – first year of basic course and second year advanced course. Those interested in joining the fellowship are invited to do a mandatory 2-week Observership period at the Institute during which their knowledge, skills, attitude and commitment to the speciality is assessed. We have realized this to be a superior process for selection of the appropriate candidate rather than a single day theory test and personal interview. Selected candidates are provided a stipend and have to pass a comprehensive examination at the end of their course to obtain certification.
Since its inception, three candidates have completed the 2-year program and two candidates the one year program. The first candidate Dr. Shobana Shekar is currently an Assistant Professor in Surgical oncology at the Adayar Cancer Institute in Chennai and the second candidate Dr Abhishek B a junior consultant in our own department at Hyderabad, soon to be elevated to Associate consultant.
Training is being conducted as per teaching / training schedule prepared by the supervisor/guide and subsequently approved by AHERF.
There is a defined process of training which includes:
- Hands on training by observing procedures and surgeries, case presentation during clinical meetings, observations, training through simulator and videos.
- Clinical training is imparted through Clinical Meetings/ CMEs/ Departmental Meetings/ Symposiums and bed side case presentation. Fellows can join Journal club.
Final Examination / Evaluation
There is a defined process of final examination/evaluation. Final examination is being conducted at the end of the six months/ one year/ two years (depending upon the duration of fellowship program) of fellowship program by one external examiner and one internal examiner. Clinical Fellows who have successfully completed their training and examination were conferred with a Certificate of Clinical Fellowship of AHERF in the respective speciality.
Policy and Application Forms on Clinical Fellowship
Clinical fellowship of AHERF shall be open only to medical professionals with graduate and postgraduate qualifications.
UPDATED ON 19/08/2021