Preparing for BMT
The blood and bone marrow transplantation center at Apollo Hospitals, India has performed over 1500 transplants with an excellent success rate. Apollo Hospitals, India is also a trusted name in BMT for international patients, as the hospital has not just a highly qualified BMT team, but also very stringent infection control norms which are critical for BMT patients. BMT treatment is available at Apollo Hospitals at Chennai, New Delhi, Hyderabad, Ahmedabad and Kolkata.
Preparing for BMT
Having a transplant can be very demanding, physically and emotionally. It may help if patients can talk about their fears and concerns.
It is important to understand why one is having the transplant and what the actual processes will be, so that the patient can make practical arrangements and also prepare himself or herself mentally. It is a good idea to discuss the entire process with the doctors and nurses involved, before the patient goes into hospital.
Here are some questions one may like to ask:
- What are the benefits of the treatment?
- What are the risks of the treatment?
- How will the transplant affect the way I live?
- Will I be able to have children after a transplant?
- How long will it be before I can start leading a normal life again?
- What are the other treatments available to me?
- Can one predict how the disease will progress?
- Who can visit me?
- Will my treatment make me feel too unwell to see people?
- Is there a television in the room?
- Is there a telephone link in the room?
- Can I bring in my own clothes?
- What do you suggest that I bring to the hospital to make my stay more comfortable?
- Where can the attenders stay?
Being fully informed and prepared will help to make the transplant process easier for the patient and the family.