Robot Assisted Kidney Transplantation
Robot Assisted Kidney Transplantation (RAKT) is a minimally invasive technique that uses robotic support to perform a kidney transplant. As a high level of expertise is required in kidney transplant and robotic surgery, RAKT is performed by transplant surgeons who have obtained extensive training and experience in robotics and transplant surgery.
Advantages of Robotic Kidney Transplant Surgery over Open Kidney Transplant Surgery
- The robot replicates the surgeon’s hand movements, while minimizing hand tremors. The surgeon thus can not only makes use of his/her experience and skills, but also operates with precision, dexterity and control in complex procedures.
- Especially useful when the operative field is deep and narrow, and requires fine dissection and micro suturing.
Improved patient outcomes:
Robotic surgery in kidney transplant offers many benefits like:
- Decreased chances of complications as compared to open surgery, especially in immunocompromised and end-stage renal disease patients undergoing kidney transplants.
- Safer and more efficacious for obese patients who are otherwise not recommended for transplants.
- Minimal invasive surgery helps in reduced – Blood loss, Hospital stays, Pain, Postoperative complication rate, Recovery time, Surgical scars.
UPDATED ON 19/08/2021