Eastern India’s first dedicated comprehensive Bone Marrow Transplant Unit was launched by Dr. Preetha Reddy, Managing Director, Apollo Hospitals Group at Apollo Gleneagles Cancer Hospital, the only super specialty Cancer hospital in the region.
The stem cells in our bone marrow produce blood cells essential for survival. When it is sick and unable to produce the normal healthy blood cells, a patient is considered for a bone marrow transplant where the diseased marrow is replaced with healthy marrow.
The Bone Marrow Transplant Unit at Apollo Gleneagles Cancer Hospital is the only dedicated comprehensive BMT in the region. The key features of the BMT unit are:
- Internationally renowned BMT Physicians with expertise in high risk allogeneic transplantation
- Dedicated team of Specialized Nurses, Technicians, Pharmacists, Dieticians , Social Workers, Co-coordinators and specialized support staff
- 6-bedded state-of-the-art BMT unit
- Pre and post-BMT counseling and support services
- HLA-Typing laboratory and flow cytometry stem cell counting
- Unrelated Cord Blood Transplantation for suitable candidates in collaboration with Public Cord Blood Bank of STEMCYTE, USA
- Real-Time PCR for diagnosing post-BMT infections
- Harvesting and storage of blood stem cells for BMT at a later date
- Multi-disciplinary support services of a 425-bedded JCI accredited multispeciality hospital
- Patient and family education and support
Dr. Preetha Reddy, Managing Director, Apollo Hospitals Group said during the launch, “”Apollo Hospitals have been the frontrunners in providing the best cancer care in the country. Our hospitals are known for introducing new technologies and the team of cancer specialists are relentlessly offering their expertise and services to help our thousands of patients who need world class cancer care. We are committed to bring all treatment modalities to fight cancer in our hospitals””. She also added, “”Apollo Gleneagles Cancer Hospital started its journey in the month of March 2010 and within this short span it has already become the one step destination for cancer care in the eastern region. Bone Marrow Transplant is a very intensive therapy and requires a highly dedicated Transplant Team. We are very confident that our BMT program will help immensely to the cancer patients of the region””.
The Bone Marrow Transplant team at Apollo Gleneagles Cancer Hospital is led by Dr Suparno Chakrabarti, one of the world renowned bone marrow transplant specialists and has been involved in evolving newer modalities of bone marrow transplantations for over a decade.
Among present during the launch were Dr Rupali Basu, CEO – Apollo Gleneagles Hospitals, Dr V R Ramanan, Director Medical Services (Eastern Region) and Lt Gen (Retd) Dr Saibal Mukherjee, Director of Oncology Services at Apollo Gleneagles Cancer Hospital.