Total Knee Replacement Surgery in Bangalore
Knee replacement surgery or knee arthroplasty is a surgical procedure to replace the knee joint with an artificial one. In conditions like chronic knee pain from osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis and trauma, patients are usually given painkillers. With this option, one can not only make use of the joint but also live a pain-free life.
How is Knee Replacement Surgery performed?
The surgical procedure involves removing the damaged or diseased part of the knee joint, and replacing it with an artificial one. This could be made of metal, plastic or even ceramic. The components of this mimic the natural movement of the knee joint. The artificial joint is then secured to the remaining bone with an intermediate material.
Types of Knee Replacement Surgery:
There are various procedures for knee replacement, including:
- Total knee replacement: This procedure replaces the complete knee joint with an artificial joint and is the most popular type of knee replacement surgery.
- Partial knee replacement: In this procedure, an artificial joint is simply used to replace the damaged portion of the knee joint. Only specific forms of knee arthritis can be operated upon in this procedure.
- Bilateral knee replacement: Prosthetic joints replace both knees in this procedure. It can be carried out as a single operation or as two surgeries.
- Revision knee replacement: This procedure replaces a knee replacement implant that has failed or worn out.
- Minimally invasive knee replacement: This procedure uses tiny incisions and specialised instruments. This causes minimum scars and faster healing.
Advantages of Knee Replacement Surgery:
For people with persistent knee pain and impairment, knee replacement surgery can offer several advantages, including:
- Pain relief: Surgery for a knee replacement can reduce significant knee pain and stiffness that diseases like osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis may bring.
- Increased mobility: Many patients report improved movement following surgery and rehabilitation, enabling them to carry out challenging or impossible tasks before the operation.
- Higher quality of life: For people with chronic knee pain and disabilities, knee replacement surgery can considerably raise the quality of life.
- Longer lifespan: Because of improvements in surgical methods and material science, knee replacements can last up to 20 years.
- Improved sleep: Many people with chronic knee pain have trouble sleeping. A lack of pain can remedy this.
- Less reliance on medication: Knee replacement surgery might lessen the need for painkillers, which can have unfavourable side effects.
- Better mental health: Prolonged pain can harm mental health, and knee replacement surgery can enhance general well-being and lessen depressive and anxious symptoms.
Knee Surgery Procedure in Bangalore at Apollo Hospitals, Karnataka.
Before the procedure:
Our doctors will run preliminary tests and assess the patient’s eligibility for the procedure. After a thorough medical check-up, the patients are instructed about the surgery and what to do. This includes dietary restrictions before anaesthesia, medications and diet. Our doctors also recommend that the patient brings someone along to be present during and after the procedure.
During the procedure:
After the patient is under anaesthesia, our doctors will make an incision to remove the damaged portion and the remaining bone is then shaped into an artificial component. This component is made of a metal alloy and a plastic spacer. It is then cemented to the bone, and the incision is sutured into place.
After the procedure:
You will be closely monitored by our doctors until the vitals are stable. After hospitalisation and a few days of recovery, you will be discharged. We also provide physical therapy, which will help in a better and quick recovery.
The length of the recovery period varies from patient to patient. Most patients can get back to their normal life with complete healing within several months after the surgery. Make sure you attend every appointment without fail for a quick recovery.
Who is eligible for total knee surgery?
Not all people with arthritis or knee discomfort qualify for knee replacement surgery. A doctor would normally assess a patient’s medical history, general health, and level of knee pain or disability in order to determine whether they are a candidate for surgery.
Those who may be candidates for knee replacement surgery generally have:
- Persistent knee pain and stiffness that makes it difficult for them to complete daily tasks
- Not benefited from conventional therapies, including physical therapy, medicine, or injections
- Substantial knee joint deterioration brought on by arthritis or other ailments
- Healthy state and no illnesses that would make surgery riskier.
Who is not eligible for the procedure?
Some of the conditions where the patient is not eligible for knee replacement surgery include:
- Uncontrolled conditions like diabetes
- Any active infection
- Reduced bone density.
Complications and risks:
The complications of total knee replacement surgery include:
- Blood clots
- Implant issues
- Nerve or blood vessel damages
- Knee instability
- Pain and discomfort
Knee replacement surgery is an elaborate procedure which is performed by specialists. Our surgical team at Apollo Hospitals, Karnataka, has the best set of doctors with the knowledge and the skill set to perform these complex surgeries. Our specialists will be able to help and guide you through the entire procedure and make it comfortable.