Services/Treatments of Robotic Cardiac Surgery in Bangalore
It is believed at Apollo Hospitals that the first step to cure is accurate diagnosis of the disorder. Investment in the latest medical and diagnostic equipment along with upgradation of skills of personnel is always ensured.
Best Robotic Cardiac Surgery at Apollo Hospitals, Karnataka
The highly precise Robotic Cardiac Surgery is completely an endoscopic surgical process available at Apollo Hospitals, Karnataka. This process uses small port incisions and hence avoids the need for full sternotomy. This method minimises trauma and causes less blood loss compared to traditional heart surgery. Traditional cardiac surgery involves splitting the breastplate with a saw. Hence, robotic cardiac surgery performed by top surgeons at Apollo Hospitals, Karnataka, also leads to reduced pain and discomfort for the patients.
Our expert surgeons can efficiently perform robotic cardiac surgery with the help of tiny instruments and robot-controlled tools. Robotic surgeries are performed for many heart-related processes, such as cardiac tissue ablation, coronary artery bypass, valve surgery, tumour removal, and heart defect repair.
Why is Robotic Cardiac Surgery recommended?
The primary benefit of robotic cardiac surgery is that it is a minimally invasive procedure and leads to less blood loss in the patient. Smaller incisions are made in the chest to perform this procedure which means the patients can heal faster and resume normal activities.
This process may be recommended if you need an artery bypass surgical procedure to improve blood flow in the heart. It is also recommended in the following cases:
- To replace or repair leaky or stiff heart valves.
- To remove a heart tumour.
- To correct atrial fibrillation.
- To treat congenital heart diseases.
What are the risk factors of Robotic Cardiac Surgery?
Although this method excludes the complications of open-heart surgery, this method requires anaesthesia, and like any other surgery, there are some risks involved. Some of them are as follows:
- Heart attack
Our experienced cardiac surgeons at Apollo Hospitals, Karnataka, will check your medical history, lifestyle habits, and the severity of the disease to decide if you are an ideal candidate for this surgical process. They will provide you with all the details of the procedure. It is important to go through your consent form and clear your doubts, if any. You will be required to go through a physical examination and some blood tests before the surgery. If you are pregnant or planning to, inform the physician you are consulting. Make sure to list down all the medicines and supplements that you are taking and inform your healthcare provider. Even also mention herbal supplements if you are consuming them.
Steps of Robotic Cardiac Surgery
The steps of robotic cardiac surgery performed by the highly-qualified team of cardiac surgeons at Apollo Hospitals, Karnataka, are as follows:
- You will be given general anaesthesia along with a breathing tube.
- The surgeon will make a series of tiny incisions on the side of your chest. These incisions are in alignment with the openings between your ribs.
- You might be placed on the heart-lung machine during the surgery.
- Your surgeon will insert the precision-guided robotic arms through these incisions depending on the treatment plan being curated beforehand.
- These robotic arms, controlled by our experienced surgeons, manipulate and guide tiny instruments to perform required tasks on the heart Or surrounding arteries.
- A tiny video camera is inserted into a nearby incision to provide a magnified and high-precision view of the point to be operated.
- The surgeon will control both the robotic arms and the camera from a console that is located in the operating room.
- After the surgery is completed, the cardiac surgeon will remove the robotic instruments and close your incisions.
What happens after the surgery is performed?
- You will be moved to the recovery section of the Hospital to be monitored after the surgery.
- The hospital stay after the surgery is almost half as compared to the traditional open-heart surgery. Once your pain level is under control, your healthcare provider will discharge you.
- You will have very low chances of nausea and vomiting.
- Another advantage of robotic cardiac surgery is that there is less scarring on your body, whereas open-heart surgery will leave you with a 10 inches scar on your chest.
- Patients can manage their pain with over-the-counter medicines like ibuprofen and acetaminophen. The pain subsides faster as compared to open heart surgery.
To avoid infections, you must keep your incisions and the surrounding areas dry and clean. You should avoid using lotions, perfumes, ointments, or powders in the incision area. These can irritate the skin and can prolong the healing process. Do not soak the incisions in water without your doctor’s permission.
You can resume your normal activities in a few weeks as opposed to traditional heart surgery, which takes longer. Follow the medical advice provided by the doctors at Apollo Hospitals, Karnataka, regarding your physical activity & other lifestyle habits.
We will schedule follow-up appointments to track your progress and health conditions. Be alert about any unusual symptoms and consult us as soon as possible.