In today’s era, people want aesthetically pleasing facial and body features to look good. Therefore, they choose to undergo multiple corrective surgical procedures. One such procedure, called Rhinoplasty, is chosen by people who want to enhance their nose shape or have nose structure abnormalities. At Apollo Hospitals, Karnataka, we have the world’s best Otolaryngologists who perform Rhinoplasty and provide the desired results to the patients.
What is Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty, known as a nose job, is a type of cosmetic surgery done to reshape the structure of the nose. Some people opt for this surgery to improve their nasal and breathing functions. It is an invasive procedure in which an incision is made to rearrange the cartilage and bone and create a new shape for the nose.
Types of Rhinoplasty Surgery at Apollo Hospitals, Karnataka
There are several types of Rhinoplasty procedures, and the right type of surgery will depend on the patient’s condition. Here are some different types.
- Open Rhinoplasty – In this type, the surgeon makes an incision between the nostrils to access the internal region of the nose. After gaining access, the surgeon reshapes the nasal structure.
- Closed Rhinoplasty – In this type of nose job, the incisions are made from inside the nose so that no scars can be seen. This type is good for patients who wish to avoid the complicated method of nose straightening.
- Functional Rhinoplasty – This surgical process is performed to enhance the function of the nose. It involves correcting structural abnormalities such as enlarged turbinates or a deviated septum.
- Revision Rhinoplasty – This type of surgery is done to solve problems arising from previous Rhinoplasty surgeries. It involves correcting breathing problems or residual deformities.
- Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty – In this type, fillers are used to improve the shape of the nose instead of surgery. It is generally used for minor cosmetic corrections.
Rhinoplasty Surgery Procedure at Apollo Hospitals, Karnataka
Below is the detailed procedure of Rhinoplasty surgery that we perform at Apollo Hospitals, Karnataka.
Before the Procedure
The following happens before the Rhinoplasty surgery:
- You will have consultations with your plastic surgeon regarding the procedure, goals and complications of the surgery. Also, various evaluation tests will be done to determine your facial and nose anatomy.
- You will be asked to undergo various tests to examine your overall health. These tests will include imaging tests, EKG, blood tests, etc.
- Your consultant will tell you to stop taking certain medications and consuming tobacco and alcohol to avoid complications.
- You will also be given some preoperative instructions. Your surgeon will prescribe some antibiotics you must take after the surgery.
During the Procedure
The surgery is performed under local anaesthesia. Then, the surgeon will make an incision on the skin or inside the nostril to access the bone or cartilage. He will reshape it according to the needs and requirements of the patient. In some cases, the surgeon will also use tissue grafts to improve the structure of the nose. After reshaping, the incision is closed by stitches or sutures. In some cases, he may use splints to provide support to the nose.
After the Procedure
After Rhinoplasty, you will be shifted to recovery for monitoring. Once you get stable, you will be discharged. Your surgeon will prescribe some medications for your pain and ask you to come for follow-ups.
The recovery period depends on the extent of correction made, the type of Rhinoplasty performed and the overall condition of the patient. Generally, it takes 10 days to one month or so to completely recover after Rhinoplasty. Post-surgery, the patient will be asked to avoid strenuous activities. By following the recovery plan, you can make a quick recovery.
Complications & Risks of Rhinoplasty Surgery
Some potential risks and complications of Rhinoplasty surgery are as follows:
- Breathing difficulties
- Nasal septal perforation
- Unsatisfactory results
- Skin discolouration and irritation
- Nasal blockage
- Reactions due to anaesthesia
Patients must talk about these risks and complications with their plastic surgeon before undergoing surgery. They should also follow post-surgery instructions to enhance recovery.
Who is not eligible for Rhinoplasty Surgery?
Many people are not eligible for Rhinoplasty surgery. These individuals include:
- People with certain medical conditions – Patients experiencing bleeding problems, diabetes or blood pressure are ineligible for the surgery.
- Teenagers with underdeveloped facial features – These teenagers are not good candidates for Rhinoplasty as their nasal structure may be changing or growing.
- Patients with nasal disorders – Rhinoplasty is risky for people having nasal disorders such as allergies or chronic sinusitis.
- Pregnant women – Pregnant women should not undergo this surgery as it can cause risks to the infant.
- Smokers – Smokers are not eligible for Rhinoplasty as smoking can increase the risks of poor healing during and after the surgery.
Eligibility criteria for the surgery depend on multiple factors such as overall health, medical conditions, etc. You must consult your surgeon to know whether it is safe to undergo the procedure.
Treatment at Apollo Hospitals, Karnataka
Rhinoplasty is a cosmetic surgery that helps people get their desired nasal features. At Apollo Hospitals, Karnataka, we are fully equipped with state-of-the-art infrastructure and advanced medical equipment and machines for successful Rhinoplasty procedures. Our specialised plastic surgeons with years of experience perform this surgery to give the best results to our patients. The hospital’s trained staff assists our surgeons during the surgery. Moreover, Apollo Hospitals, Karnataka, adhere to all the standard & international medical protocols to perform Rhinoplasty while resorting to the patient-centric approach.