Breast cancer can affect both females and males. It is the most prevalent cancer type in women globally. In India, one in 28 women is likely to develop breast cancer during her lifetime. Abnormal cell growth in breast tissue causes breast cancer. Cancer can metastasize and affect other areas of the body.
Fortunately, there have been significant breakthroughs in breast cancer treatments that have helped improve patients' survival rates and quality of life. At Apollo Cancer Centre, we offer cutting-edge treatment methods for breast cancer. This article will discuss the top 5 key breast cancer treatments for men and women.
Doctors use endocrine therapy to treat breast cancer that is hormone receptor-positive. It is a type of systemic therapy. This therapy works by blocking the production or activity of hormones that promote the growth of breast cancer cells. This therapy is often used after surgery to reduce the risk of recurrence or as the primary treatment for advanced breast cancer.
Benefits of Endocrine Therapy
- Highly effective in treating hormone receptor-positive breast cancer
- Low toxicity and minimal side effects
- This intervention lowers the likelihood of cancer returning and enhances the chances of survival
- Doctors can combine it with other treatments to improve outcomes.
Targeted therapy is a treatment that focuses on specific genes or proteins related to cancer cell growth and spreading. It aims to inhibit their function and activity. The goal is to block the signals that promote cancer cell growth and division while leaving healthy cells intact.
This therapy is often used with chemotherapy or radiation therapy to improve its effectiveness. Targeted therapy is particularly effective in treating HER2-positive breast cancer, which accounts for 20% of all breast cancer cases.
Benefits of Targeted Therapy
- Highly effective in treating HER2-positive breast cancer
- The targeted approach minimizes damage to healthy tissue and organs
- Fewer side effects compared to traditional chemotherapy
- Improved survival rates and quality of life for patients
Breast Preserving Operation
Breast preserving operation, also known as a lumpectomy, is a surgical procedure that removes the tumour and some surrounding tissue while preserving the breast. This surgery is often used for early-stage breast cancer and is an alternative to a mastectomy.
Benefits of Breast Preserving Operation
- Preserves the natural appearance and shape of the breast
- Lower risk of complications and side effects compared to a mastectomy
- Shorter recovery time and less pain
- Effective in treating early-stage breast cancer
Mastectomy is a surgical operation that involves the complete removal of the breast. Surgeons often perform this surgery for advanced breast cancer or when the tumour is too large for a lumpectomy.
Benefits of Mastectomy
- Effective in treating advanced breast cancer
- Removes the entire tumour and reduces the risk of recurrence
- Doctors may combine it with breast reconstruction surgery to enhance cosmetic outcomes.
Proton therapy is an advanced radiation therapy that uses high-energy protons to destroy cancer cells. This therapy is highly effective in treating breast cancer because it delivers a high radiation dose directly to the tumour site, sparing healthy tissue around it. It reduces the risk of side effects and complications associated with traditional radiation therapy.
Benefits of Proton Therapy
- High precision and accuracy in delivering radiation to the tumour site
- Compared to conventional radiation therapy, this treatment has fewer adverse effects.
- Better preservation of healthy tissue and organs
- Lower risk of secondary cancers caused by radiation exposure
Care and Tips
In addition to the breakthrough treatments for breast cancer available at Apollo Cancer Centre, patients can take additional steps to care for themselves and improve their quality of life. These tips can help patients manage the side effects of treatment, reduce their risk of recurrence, and improve their overall well-being.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle: Maintaining a healthy diet and exercising regularly can lower the chances of cancer reappearing and enhance overall well-being.
- Manage side effects: Several treatments for breast cancer may lead to adverse effects like tiredness, vomiting, and discomfort. Speak to your healthcare provider about managing these symptoms with medications or lifestyle changes.
- Get enough rest: Getting enough sleep is essential for the body to heal and recover.
- Protect your skin: Radiation therapy can cause skin irritation and burns. Protect your skin by wearing loose, comfortable clothing and avoiding sun exposure.
- Practice self-exams: Regular self-exams can help detect changes in the breast tissue and aid in the early detection of recurrence.
- Seek support: Breast cancer treatment can be emotionally taxing. Seek support from friends, family, or support groups to help manage the emotional burden.
- Practice mindfulness: Practices like meditation and deep breathing promote mindfulness. It can lessen stress and enhance mental wellness.
- Please communicate with your healthcare provider: Open communication with your healthcare provider can help address any concerns or questions about treatment and its impact on your emotional well-being.
- Set realistic goals: Setting achievable goals can help boost confidence and improve mental health.
- Practice self-care: Make time for activities that bring joy and relaxation, such as reading, hobbies, or spending time with loved ones.
- Attend follow-up appointments: Regular appointments with your healthcare provider can help detect recurrence or potential complications.
- Monitor your health: Keep track of any symptoms or changes in your body and report them to your healthcare provider.
- Stay up-to-date on screening: Regular screening tests such as mammograms and breast exams can aid in early detection and improve outcomes.
- Stay informed: It is essential to keep informed about the latest breast cancer research and treatment options. If you have any queries, make sure to consult your healthcare provider.
Breast cancer is challenging, but with the breakthrough treatments available at Apollo Cancer Centre, patients can receive the best care possible. From advanced proton therapy to targeted therapy and breast-preserving operations, our team of experts provides personalized treatment plans that cater to each patient's unique needs.
The patients can actively participate in their treatment journey. Doing so can improve their well-being and lead to the best possible outcomes. At Apollo Cancer Centre, we are committed to fighting breast cancer and helping our patients live life to the fullest.