Dr. Prathap C Reddy, the visionary Founder-Chairman of Apollo Hospitals is widely recognized as the architect of modern Indian healthcare. He is best described as a compassionate humanitarian, who has dedicated his life to bringing world-class healthcare within the economic and geographic reach of millions. The institution that he envisioned and built - Apollo Hospitals, steered a revolution and marked the birth of the private healthcare industry in India
Apollo Hospitals opened its doors in 1983 and introduced international quality healthcare to India, at a cost that was a fraction of comparable costs in the western world. This was Apollo's first act of social responsibility and underscored the fact that the organization's business model has an intrinsic social conscience.
Over the years, Dr. Reddy has carried the torch of healthcare to distant corners of India. Always the visionary, he harnessed technology and insurance to take healthcare to the masses. The pioneering success of telemedicine and innovative insurance in Aragonda, the world's first V-SAT enabled village in remote Andhra Pradesh validates the concept of 'Healthcare for All'.
Recognizing that telemedicine can help meet the increasing demand for universal access to high quality healthcare, Apollo Hospitals established telemedicine centres across the world. Dr. Reddy also envisioned the path breaking Apollo Reach Hospitals model, one that takes high quality healthcare to semi urban and rural geographies. This blueprint has been taking good health to the very heart of India.
A tireless advocate for creating access through insurance; Dr. Reddy firmly believes that mandatory health insurance is critical for the nation and has been actively campaigning for its implementation across the country. The innovative insurance project of Re.1 a day that he introduced decades ago in his native village has been adopted in multiple ways across the country and created the platform for the Government of India's Universal Health Insurance programme for below-the-poverty-line population.
Nurturing change towards preventive healthcare, Dr. Prathap Reddy passionately propagated Preventive Healthcare with the concept of Annual Health Checks. As a cardiologist, he recognized that the battle against disease had to go beyond hospitals and championed the Billion Hearts Beating Foundation, an endeavour that deploys innovative mediums to encourage Indians to stay heart-healthy.
In service to his nation, Dr. Reddy has also been the Chairman of the Confederation of Indian Industry's National Health Council and advisor to its committees on Healthcare, Health Insurance, Public Health and Pharma. Dr Prathap C Reddy was pivotal in the genesis of NATHEALTH - the Healthcare Federation of India. NATHEALTH is today emerging as one of the nation's most powerful and influential forums in facilitating the shift in mind-set, delivery and policy making to nurture the gift of good health for all in our country.
Dr. Reddy's incredible journey is captured through a biography entitled "Healer: Dr. Prathap Chandra Reddy and the Transformation of India," authored by Pranay Gupte, and has been published by Penguin, the world's largest publisher.
A dedicated philanthropist, Dr. Reddy introduced social initiatives that helped transcend barriers and a notable example is the Save a Child's Heart Initiative that is addressing the widespread issue of congenital heart disease in India.
Dr. Prathap C Reddy was conferred the 'Padma Vibhushan' the second highest civilian award. This commendation from the Government of India is an acknowledgement of his untiring pursuit of excellence in healthcare.
A JOURNEY RECOGNISED AND RESPECTED BY EVERYONE
- 1991 - Conferred the Padma Bhushan by the Government of India
- 1992 - Invited by the Government of India to be member of the Working Group on Health Financing and Management
- 1993 - The Mother St Teresa's 'Citizen of the Year' award
- 1997 - Business India - Top 50 personalities who made a difference to India since Independence
- 1998 - Sir Nilrattan Sircar Memorial Oration (JIMA) award for single-handedly making super speciality care available to a vast section of society
- 2000 - Conferred the Fellowship Ad Hominem by the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- 2001 - Ernst & Young 'Entrepreneur of the Year' award
- 2002 - Lifetime Achievement award by Hospimedica International
- 2004 - Franchise award for Excellence in Business Development
- 2005 - The 'Asia-Pacific Bio leadership' award by the Marshall School of Business
- Appointed member of the Indo-US CEO's Forum by the Prime Minister of India
- 2006 - 'Modern Medicare Excellence award 2006', by the ICICI Group, for his outstanding achievements in the healthcare industry
- 2007 - Appointed Chairman of the CII National Healthcare Committee
- 2009 - The Government of India honours Apollo Hospitals with a Commemorative Postage Stamp
- 2010 - Conferred the Padma Vibhushan, the second highest civilian award in India by the Government of India
- 2010 - Lifetime Achievement award from Rotary International and Frost & Sullivan
- 2011 - Lifetime Achievement award from FICCI
- 2011 - Lifetime Contribution award from AIMA
- 2012 - Apollo Hospitals was the winner of the G20 Challenge on Inclusive Business Innovation for the Apollo Reach Hospitals initiative.
- 2013 - NDTV Indian Lifetime Achievement award
- 2013 - Asian Business Leaders Lifetime Achievement award
- 2013 - CNBC TV18 Lifetime Achievement Award for India Business Leaders Awards.
- 2016 - Dr. Reddy was conferred an Honorary Doctorate by the prestigious University of New South Wales, Australia for his exemplary contribution to the health and wellbeing of millions.