Dr. Prathap C Reddy, the visionary Founder-Chairman of Apollo Hospitals is widely acknowledged as the architect of modern Indian healthcare. He is best described as a compassionate humanitarian, who dedicated his life to bringing world-class healthcare within the economic and geographic reach of millions. The institution that he envisioned and built - Apollo Hospitals, steered a revolution and marked the birth of the private healthcare industry in India
Apollo Hospitals opened its doors in 1983 and introduced international quality healthcare to India, at a cost that was a fraction of comparable costs in the western world. This was Apollo's first act of social responsibility and it underscored the intrinsic social conscience of the organization's business model.
Over the years, Dr. Reddy has carried the torch of healthcare to distant corners of India. Always the visionary, he harnessed technology and insurance to take healthcare to the masses. The pioneering success of telemedicine and innovative insurance in Aragonda, the world's first V-SAT enabled remote village in Andhra Pradesh validated the concept of 'Healthcare for All'. He also envisioned the groundbreaking Apollo Reach Hospitals model, one that takes high quality healthcare to semi urban and rural geographies. This blueprint has been taking good health to the very heart of India.
A tireless advocate for creating access through insurance, Dr. Reddy firmly believes that mandatory health insurance is critical for the nation. The innovative insurance project of Re.1 a day that he introduced decades ago in his native village has been adopted in multiple ways across the country and created the platform for the Government of India's Universal Health Insurance programme for the below-poverty-line population.
In the firm belief that preventive healthcare is the key to good health, Dr. Prathap C Reddy passionately propagated it with the concept of Annual Health Checks and over 15 million health checks have been performed by the group. As a cardiologist, he recognized that the battle against disease had to go beyond hospitals and he championed the Billion Hearts Beating Foundation, an endeavour that deploys innovative mediums to encourage Indians to stay heart-healthy.
In service to the nation, Dr. Reddy has also been the Chairman of the Confederation of Indian Industry's National Health Council and advisor to its committees on Healthcare, Health Insurance, Public Health and Pharma. He was pivotal in the genesis of NATHEALTH - the Healthcare Federation of India, which today is one of the nation's most powerful and influential forums in facilitating the shift in mind-set, delivery and policy making to nurture the gift of good health for all in India.
Dr. Reddy's incredible journey is captured through a biography entitled "Healer: Dr. Prathap Chandra Reddy and the Transformation of India," authored by Pranay Gupte, and published by Penguin, the world's largest publisher.
A dedicated philanthropist, Dr. Reddy introduced social initiatives that helped transcend barriers and a notable example is the Save a Child's Heart Initiative that is addressing the widespread issue of congenital heart disease in India.
Dr. Prathap C Reddy was conferred the 'Padma Vibhushan' the second highest civilian award by the Government of India, an acknowledgement of his untiring pursuit of excellence in healthcare.
A JOURNEY RECOGNISED AND RESPECTED BY EVERYONE
- Conferred the Padma Bhushan by the Government of India (1991)
- The Mother St Teresa's 'Citizen of the Year' award (1993)
- Business India Top-50 personalities who made a difference to India since Independence
- Sir Nilrattan Sircar Memorial Oration (JIMA) award (1998)
- Conferred the Fellowship Ad Hominem by the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh
- Ernst & Young 'Entrepreneur of the Year' Award (2001)
- Lifetime Achievement award by Hospimedica International
- Franchise award for Excellence in Business Development
- The 'Asia-Pacific Bio Leadership' award by the Marshall School of Business
- 'Modern Medicare Excellence award by the ICICI Group
- Conferred Padma Vibhushan, second highest civilian award by the Government of India (2010)
- Lifetime Achievement award from Rotary International and Frost & Sullivan
- Lifetime Achievement award from Federation of India Chamber of Commerce & Industry
- Lifetime Contribution award from All India Management Association
- NDTV Indian Lifetime Achievement Award (2013)
- Asian Business Leaders Lifetime Achievement Award (2013)
- CNBC TV18 Lifetime Achievement Award - India Business Leaders Awards (2013)
- Conferred an Honorary Doctorate by UNSW, Australia for exemplary contribution to the health and wellbeing of millions (2016)
- Conferred as the Global Healthcare Icon by Telemedicine Society of India (2017)
- Lifetime Achievement Award from the International Society for Telemedicine & E-Health (2017)
- The 'Iconic Man' Award conferred by the FICCI Ladies Organisation (FLO) (2017)