Dr Aarthi Kannan is a Consultant Geriatrician with more than eight years of experience in medical practice. She received a distinction in medical school in ENT, pharmacology, and internal medicine theory. At the 2019 VA Palo Alto Annual QI Symposium, she won the Best Quality Improvement/Research Award. She has also worked as a writer and editor for various healthcare magazines and medical colleges. By offering high-quality outpatient geriatric care, thorough preventive health education, and experimenting with community-based interventions on maximising wellness and improving quality of life, happiness, independence, and functionality for seniors, she hopes to prepare the Indian senior community for healthy ageing.
Her work and professional experience include the following:
- J. Somaiya Hospital, Mumbai, India, Medical Intern – (Mar 2011 – Mar 2012)
- Dr Ashok Punjabi’s Cardiology outpatient clinic, Clinical Observer – (Sep 2012 – Nov 2012)
- D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX USA, Clinical Observer in Department of leukaemia – (Feb 2014 – Mar 2014)
- D. Hinduja National Hospital, Mumbai, India, Research Assistant and patient-care Volunteer in Radiation Oncology, House officer in Internal Medicine – (Jan 2013 – Oct 2014)
- University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, CT, USA – (June 2015 – June 2018)
- Completed three years in Internal Medicine Residency/post-graduation (MD)
- Management of inpatient wards, emergencies
- Ongoing inpatient, consultative, outpatient care
- Six months of critical care training (cardiac and medical ICU)
- curriculum development in Internal Medicine and Geriatrics
- Stanford University and GRECC, USA, Clinical Fellow in Geriatric Medicine – (June 2018 – June 2019)
- Remote Physician with geriatric focus, Ramanamaharishi Rangammal Hospital, Tiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu, Infection control assistance, teleconsultation – (March 2020 – July 2020)
- Staff Physician, P. D. Hinduja National Hospital, Mumbai, Outpatient care physician for hospital staff during 1st wave of the COVID-19 pandemic – (May 2020 – June 2020)
- Public health Writer, Healthcare Executive India – (Nov 2019 – present)
- Private practice physician with senior care focus – (September 2020 – present)
Dr Aarthi Kannan completed her MBBS from K.J.Somaiya Medical College, Mumbai, in 2012. Later, she did MD, Internal Medicine Residency Training from the University of Connecticut Health Center, Farmington, USA, in 2018. She did Clinical 1-year Fellowship in Geriatrics from Stanford University School of Medicine, Veteran Affairs Hospital Palo Alto, in 2019.
Honors & Awards
- Best Quality Improvement/research award recipient at VA Palo Alto Annual QI Symposium 2019.
- Recognised by the Internal Medicine Peer Review Committee in residency as an outstanding Internal Medicine resident physician.
- Recognised at Hartford Hospital for an outstanding Emergency response, upholding Leadership Behaviours and Hospital Values during residency training.
- Distinction holder in medical school: Internal Medicine Theory, Pharmacology, ENT