Apollo Bariatric Surgery Expertise
Obesity is a condition where a person's Body Mass Index or BMI (calculated by dividing height by weight) is more than 30. It is becoming a global epidemic not only in developed nations but also in developing nations like India. Obesity is a huge issue in India too, with morbid obesity affecting 5% of the country's population.
The Apollo Centers of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery are one of the largest centres for Obesity & Metabolic surgery in the country, performing all the different types of weight loss surgeries including revision surgeries with success rates comparable to international standards. The commitment of our consultants and allied specialists in the treatment of Morbid Obesity has led to the achievement of better outcomes and improved quality of life for hundreds of obese patients who visit us each year. The additions of second generation Single Incision Laparoscopy surgeries and the latest Robotic surgical options have put The Apollo Bariatric Institutes right among the advanced Bariatric centers of the world.
Bariatric surgery or weight loss surgery includes a variety of procedures performed on people who have morbid obesity. Weight loss is achieved by reducing the size of the stomach with a gastric band or through removal of a portion of the stomach (sleeve gastrectomy or biliopancreatic diversion with duodenal switch) or by resecting and re-routing the small intestine to a small stomach pouch (gastric bypass surgery).
- Bariatric procedures including Gastric Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy, Gastric Bypass, Mini Gastric Bypass, Bilio-pancreatic diversion, and metabolic surgeries routinely done.
- Minimal access techniques done, including Endoscopic surgery, Laparoscopy, Single incision surgery & robotic surgery for Bariatrics.
- First to introduce Robotic technique for Bariatrics
- The World's first Single Incision Revision Bariatric Surgery, India's first Single Incision Gastric Bypass
- Asia's first scarless endoscopic revision gastroplasty for failed bariatric surgery
- Robotic bariatric surgery on Asia's heaviest patient weighing 348 kgs