Multi-Organ Transplantation in Chennai
Apollo Hospitals, Chennai harvests 23 organs in a day, an extraordinary feat achieved!
The Apollo Transplant Institutes (ATI) is regarded as one of the largest, comprehensive and busy solid transplant programs in the world.
Our hospitals are well established with modern equipment and state-of-the-art infrastructure to support our internationally renowned Transplant Surgeons, Nephrologists, Gastroenterologists, Pediatric Gastroenterologists, Pediatric Surgeons, Anesthetists, Intensivists and Physicians in treating patients from across the globe.
Infrastructure and Facilities
- 640 Slice CT Scan, a state of the art Liver Intensive Care Unit & Operation Theatre. Various surgical tools to enable safe & bloodless liver surgery including Cavitron ultrasonic surgical aspirator, Argon laser coagulation, Ultrasonic blood vessel sealing systems etc
- Dedicated Operating Theatres customized for transplant surgeries
- Dedicated State-of-the-Art Intensive Care Units
- Specialty blood bank facilities
- High end Laboratories for all tests and investigations
- Diagnostic and Radiology Facilities which include 640 Slice, 64 Slice CT scanners, 3 Tesla MRI machines, high-end Ultrasound facilities
- Dedicated wards and rooms for transplant patients
- Counsellors and Transplant Co-ordinators to take care of all your needs
- Translators for all major languages both national and international
- Dedicated helplines and unit managers to take care of your treatment needs and requirements
- Dedicated and trained nursing staff for your pre-operative and post-operative care
Apollo Hospitals’ comprehensive liver transplant programme provides effective health care by treating liver disorders and diseases. At Apollo Hospitals, we have successfully performed liver transplants for both paediatric patients and adults, who are now leading a normal life.Click here to know more
The Apollo Institute of Renal Transplants is one of the largest and most comprehensive renal transplant programs in India. We perform both autologous and cadaveric renal transplants and the use of minimally invasive techniques for the kidney donors facilitate speedy recovery and reduction in hospital stay. In gives us immense pride to be the first to create an organ transplant registry in India.
The first heart transplant was performed by Apollo Hospitals, Chennai in 1995. Indeed, the patient had survived for almost 14 years until 2009 when he passed away due to an unrelated cause; the longest Indian transplant survivor.
Apollo Hospitals initiated in 2004 a formal Heart Transplant Programme. Additionally , a multidisciplinary approach to End Stage Heart Failure was also conceptualised.
Our team of experts at Apollo Hospitals, Chennai have successfully performed over 32 Heart transplants, 25 Lung transplants, 7 Heart and Double Lung transplants and 1 Heart Lung and Kidney transplantation. In India, Tamil Nadu state has an excellent and one of the most active Government led Cadaver Programs. In recent years, the awareness among donors has also increased, which has further supported our transplantation program.
Pancreatic Transplant and Surgery
Most surgical procedures performed on the pancreas involve resection (removal) of the diseased part of the organ. Our multidisciplinary team of doctors clinically evaluates the patient, before surgery on the pancreas is performed.
Bone Marrow Transplant
More than 1000 transplants have been performed at the blood and bone marrow transplantation center at Apollo Specialty Cancer Hospitals, Chennai, all with extremely good outcomes. We are also regarded as the preferred destination for BMT among international patients, thanks to the dedicated team of BMT specialists, the stringent infection control norms which play a very crucial role in the treatment of BMT patients and the warm and friendly ambience.
A lung transplant can benefit patients who are suffering from chronic respiratory diseases like – end stage lung disease (COPD, Interstitial Lung Disease, Bronchiectasis, Cystic Fibrosis), primary and secondary irreversible pulmonary hypertension etc. which has affected the functioning of the lung severely. A lung transplant is considered only when all the treatment modalities have failed, hence giving the patient a new lease of life and longevity. Apollo Hospitals, Chennai is fully equipped with the state-of-the-art technology, infrastructure and medical excellence to handle critical patients requiring this complex procedure. Our team of doctors having exhaustive experience in lung transplants, have designed a special program for evaluating donors with respect to latent TB, which further helps patients suffering from severe end stage lung disease.