Neurons and nerves are intertwined, meaning they are complex systems requiring steady hands, utmost concentration, and a medically trained mind to diagnose and treat a spectrum of neurological diseases accurately. Apollo Speciality Hospitals, Madurai, has successfully treated patients with brain and spine injury, tumours in the brain and spine, nerve injuries, brain haemorrhage, disc prolapse, spinal dislocation, stroke, epilepsy, and multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s diseases, congenital malformation, and more. Apollo Speciality Hospital, Madurai, is gradually gaining recognition as one of the world’s top hospitals specialising in neuro care. It is possible with the support of modern and state-of-the-art neuro radiology service, neuro intensive care facility, and medical and radiation oncology services all under one roof. It is one of the reasons our experts are achieving tremendous outcomes similar to those of the leading institutes around the globe. When you step into Apollo Speciality Hospitals, Madurai, you enter the world of medically advanced facility that is patient-centric. This advancement has enabled our outstanding neurosurgery team to provide comprehensive and multi-disciplinary care to the most complex neurological diseases with excellent outcomes. Our team consists of neurologists, neurosurgeons, critical care specialists, nurses, and technicians. They all collaborate as a unique team and deliver superior outcomes to the patient in the best possible manner.
- Ruptured Brain Aneurysm in a Pediatric Covid Patient
- Successful Key hole Brain Surgery in 2022
- Highly Critical Myelomeningocele Surgery Procedure Saves Life of a Baby during Lockdown 2021
- First Hospital in South Tamilnadu to Perform the Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) in 2020.
- First Hospital in South Tamilnadu to Perform the Critical Epilepsy Surgery in 2020
- First Hospital in South Tamilnadu to Perform the High Flow Brain Bypass Surgery in 2019
- First Hospital with the Highest Number of Thrombolysis for Stroke in the South Tamilnadu
- First Hospital to Perform Video Telemetry for Epilepsy in the South Tamilnadu in 2019
- More than 25,000 Successful Stroke Recovery patients
The neurons are a complex system in our body. Only a maverick can understand, treat, and diagnose them. And that is why our Neurologists and Neurosurgeons at Apollo Speciality Hospital, Madurai are well-known in this complex speciality. The doctors, trained at the best institutes in the world, are entirely committed to providing excellent treatment for numerous neurological diseases. It means that you can sit back, relax, and be assured that all neurological issues are well-taken care of through the efforts of these accomplished medical practitioners in the Neuroscience department. Dr Meenakshi Sundaram S MBBS, MD(General Medicine), DM(Neurology) Sr. Consultant Neurologist Work Experience: 23 Years of experience Awards And Achievements
- Recipient of gold medal and best outgoing student award for the year 2000 from the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore.
- Recipient of best research paper award at the 10th annual conference of Indian Academy of Neurology, Lucknow, 2002
Awarded the title of Associate Professor, Neurology by the Apollo Hospitals Education and Research Foundation (AHERF) – 2014 in recognition of contribution to Academics and Research Research And Publications
- Autonomic dysfunction in Wilson’s disease – a clinical and electrophysiological study. Clinical Autonomic Research 2002; 12: 185 – 189.
- Marinacci communication: an electrophysiologic study. Clinical Neurophysiology 2003; 114: 2334 – 2337
- Cardiac involvement in Wilson’s disease – an electrocardiographic observation. J Assoc Physicians India 2004; 52: 294 – 296
- Wilson’s disease: description of 282 patients evaluated over 3 decades. Medicine (Baltimore) 2007; 86: 112 – 121.
- Wilson’s disease: a clinico-neuropathological autopsy study. J Clin Neurosci 2008; 15: 409 – 417.
Research collaborations Principal investigator (PI) for the following international trials:
- Refractory partial epilepsy: three
- Newly developed partial epilepsy: one
- Stroke: Two completed, one ongoing
- Acute stroke intervention trial: One
- Parkinson’s disease: one
NSI, ISA, IAN, AAN, TAN Dr Karthik S N MBBS, MD (Gen.Med), DM (Neurology) Sr. Consultant Neurologist Work Experience: 8 Years of experience in Managing Neurology patients. Area of Interest
- Parkinson’s disease
- Muscle disorders
- Brain and Nerve Disorders.
Awards And Achievements Issues on women with epilepsy, Paper on transient Ischemic attack Research And Publications Articles in National and Inter-National Journals Professional Memberships IAN, IEA, TAN, IMA Dr Suresh P MD, DM (Neuro); SCE Neurology (Speciality Certificate in Neurology – UK) Consultant Neurologist Work Experience He completed MBBS from Madurai Medical College in 2004,MD – General Medicine from Coimbatore Medical College in 2009 and DM – Neurology from Manipal University in 2013. Area of Interest
- Peripheral Nerve
- Neurological Problems
- Neuromuscular Disorders
- Neurological dysfunction
Research And Publications
- Around 10 well-acknowledged publications in various acclaimed National and International journals.
- Around 10 Neurology lectures in various renowned State and National physicians and Neurologist forums.
- Tamil Nadu Medical Council
- Tamil Nadu Association of Neurologists
Dr Sundara Rajan S MBBS, DNB(Neuro Surgery) Work Experience He completed MBBS from Madurai Medical College in 1988 and DNB – Neurosurgery from Madurai Medical College in 1998. Morethan 2000 complex brain tumour surgeries Morethan 1000 spine surgeries Morethan 4000 complex brain and spine trauma surgeries Area of Intrest Laminectomy Carotid Body Tumour Embolization Carotid Cavernous Fistula Treatment Brain Arteriovenous Fistula Embolization Brain Aneurysm Coiling Extensive experience in Microneurology Wide experience in Glycerol Rhizotories and Functional Neurology Special interest in cervical spine surgery/Spinal Cord Tumours More than 5000 cases of head injury management Awards And Achievements
- Indian Orthopaedics Association Gold medal.
- Sigmund Freud memorial prize in Psychiatry
Dr Shyam D MBBS, MS (Surgery), M.Ch (Neuro Surgery),FACS,Fellow, Cerebrovascular Surgery (Japan)
Work Experience I acquired my Neurosurgical training from Madras Institute of Neurology, Madras Medical College at Chennai, India. The Madras Institute of Neurology is a busy tertiary referral unit which receives patients from all parts of South India. It offers free medical care for the needy My clinical duties and responsibilities included participation in the out-patient clinic, clerking emergency and elective admissions, participating in the operation theatre and managing patients in the neuro-intensive care. There was an on-call rota of 1:3 to 1:4. During the final year residency, I was incharge of the emergency rota and theatre and performed elective surgeries under supervision. I have assisted senior Neurosurgeons having sub-specialty interests in Neurovascular Surgery, Paediatric Neurosurgery, Spinal Neurosurgery, Neuro-traumatology, Cranial Base Surgery, Functional Neurosurgery and Neuro-oncology. I have adequate experience in the all types of craniotomies and spinal exposures. I have obtained 2 months training from All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi and JIPMER, Puducherry as a part of my residency program. I worked as a Clinical Fellow in the Department of Neurosurgery at the Fujita Health University, Banbuntane Hotokukai Hospital, Japan. I was primarily involved in ward-based management of Neurosurgical patients. I was also able to take part in elective and emergency surgeries. The majority of the cases were cranial cerebrovascular and skull base lesions. I also took a keen interest and participated actively in research, teaching and audit programs. I was associated with a Senior Neurosurgeon at a leading hospital in Chennai after my residency and performed all neurosurgical procedures independently under his supervision. During this period I was on an on-call rota of 1:3. After gaining adequate exposure, I became an independent consultant at a teaching hospital with 2100 beds and was also associated with tertiary care corporate hospitals. Currently I am working as an independent consultant at Apollo Specialty Hospitals. I was the first in the region to start a comprehensive epilepsy unit which deals with refractory epilepsy and Functional neurosurgery unit for deep brain stimulation for Parkinson’s disease. I have been an able leader and have served as a Student Council President and also organized national and international conferences. I am experienced in performing complex cerebrovascular surgeries, neuro-oncologic surgeries including awake craniotomies with experience in tractography and neurophysiological monitoring, pediatric congential malformations, degenerative spinal disorders and neurotrauma.
Volume of Work:
- Brain and Spine Tumours (Neuro Oncology) : 430
- Skull Base : 60
- Paediatric and Epilepsy : 180
- Brain Aneurysms, AVM, Byepass (Cerebrovascular) :130
- Minimal Invasive Brain :65
- Trauma (Brain and Spine ) and Stroke :1360
- Spine Degenerative Disease :160
Awards And Achievements
- The T.N. Dr. M.G.R. MEDICAL UNIVERSITY GOLD MEDAL IN NEUROSURGERY for the year 2016
- Prof. S. KALYANARAMAN GOLD MEDAL in NEUROSURGERY for the year 2016
- Award for the Best Paper Presentation at the 3rd Winter Seminar
- Award for the Best Poster at the 64th Annual Conference of the Neurological Society of India – NSICON 2015, Hyderabad, India.
- Award for the Best Presentation and Best Trainee presentation 3 at the 26th Annual Conference of Indian Society for Pediatric Neurosurgery – IndSPNCON 2015, Kochi, India.
- SILVER JUBILEE GOLD MEDAL IN GENERAL SURGERY for the year 2012 at Govt. Stanley Medical College and Hospital, Chennai.
- LEELA D PILLAI MEMORIAL GOLD MEDAL in Radiodiagnosis for the year 2008 at PSG Institute of Medical Sciences & Research, Coimbatore.
- Dr. JAYAKUMAR MEMORIAL GOLD MEDAL in Orthopedics for the year 2007 at PSG Institute of Medical Sciences & Research, Coimbatore.
Research And Publications PUBLICATIONS:
- Current Updates on Idiopathic Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus.
- Liew BS, Takagi K, Kato Y, Duvuru S, Thanapal S, Mangaleswaran B.
Asian J Neurosurg 2019;14:648-56
- Does age affects the surgical outcome in patients with unruptured cerebral aneurysms (UCA)? A Two year retrospective study from a single centre in Japan. Duvuru S, Sae-Ngow T, Kato Y, Kawase T, Yamada Y, Tanaka R.
Asian J Neurosurg 2018;13:1108-11
- Direct cerebral revascularization: Extracranial-intracranial bypass.
Thanapal S, Duvuru S, Sae-Ngow T, Kato Y, Takizawa K. Asian J Neurosurg 2018;13:9-17.
- Lessons learnt from accidental spillage of glue between nerve and artery during microvascular decompression.
Bishnoi I, Kato Yoko, Duvuru S. Neurol India 2017;65:1391-3.
- Posttraumatic Cavernous Segment Internal Carotid Artery Aneurysmal Rupture Presenting as Tentorial Subdural Hematoma.
Shunmugam S, Emmanuel T, Duvuru S J Neurol Surg A Cent Eur Neurosurg. 2017 Sep;78(5):517-520. doi: 10.1055/s- 0036-1593960. Epub 2016 Dec 1 .
- Gas Gangrene: Need for Aggressive Management in Delayed Presentation.
Pragatheeswarane M, Balaji Nitesh N, Duvuru S, Gubbi Shamanna S. Surg Infect. 2014 Jun;15(3):361-2. doi:10.1089/sur.2013.071. Professional Memberships Certification :
- Fellowship in Cerebrovascular Surgery , Fujita Health University Banbuntane Hotokukai Hospital, Nagoya, Japan.
- Fujita Health University and the World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies
PROFESSIONAL SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS:
- 2014 – NEUROLOGICAL SOCIETY OF INDIA,
- Life Member, DNS-78
- 2014 – CONGRESS OF NEUROLOGICAL SURGEONS,
- International Member
2015 – AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF NEUROLOGICAL SURGEONS,
- International Member
- 2016 – AANS/CNS Cerebrovascular Section – International Member
- 2016 – AANS/CNS Section on Pediatric Neurological Surgery – International Member
- 2016 – NEUROLOGICAL SURGEONS’ SOCIETY OF INDIA,
- Life Member; NSSI-S-124
2016 – EUROPEAN ASSOCIATION OF NEUROSURGICAL SOCIETIES (EANS)
- Individual Member, 4197
- 2018 – AOSpine Member
- 2019 – Neuroendoscopy Society of India, Life Member
- 2020 – American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- Neurological Society of India
- Indian Medical Association
- Association of Spine Surgeons of India
- Tamilnadu Association of Neurosurgeons
Dr Kevin Joseph MS., MCh (Neuro Surgery)
- Consultant Neurosurgeon at Apollo Hospitals
- Former Consultant Neurosurgeon at Velammal Medical College & Research Institute
- Former Assistant Professor at Christian Medical College, Vellore
- MCh at Madras Medical College
- MS at Tirunelveli Medical College
- MBBS at Thoothukudi Medical College
Research And Publications Analysis of stand-alone case in cervical stenosis, Occipital lesion mimicking as secondary case reports Professional Memberships Neurological Society of India
Apollo Speciality Hospitals, Madurai, is renowned for providing specialised care for patients with stroke, head and spinal injuries, brain tumours, seizure disorders, movement disorders, and headaches. The main reason for our success and fame is our expert neurologists, neurosurgeons, critical care specialists, nurses, and researchers tirelessly work together as one unit to provide better diagnoses and treatment for the patients.
The Department of Neurosurgery at Apollo Institute of Neurosciences, Madurai is one of the largest and most comprehensive neurosurgical centers in South Tamilnadu and this part of the country. It caters to a large population in and around Madurai and all the southern districts of Tamilnadu. Our Neurosurgeons are on the leading edge of treating neurological conditions using the latest innovations and techniques in neurosurgery, such as Robotics, Key-hole and Minimally Invasive Brain and Spine Surgery, Computer-Assisted Brain and Spine Surgery, Stereotactic Surgery, Awake Brain Surgery, Deep Brain Stimulation and Epilepsy Surgery. Advanced Neurosurgical Treatment Apollo Neurosurgery is a leader in the field of neurosurgery with state-of-the-art facilities. which include,
- Zeiss Tivato 700 microscope with advanced 4K Visualization and intraoperative fluoresence guidance and navigation integration to remove brain tumours and also operate on complex vascular malformations
- Cavitron Ultrasonic Surgical Aspirator (CUSA)
- Intraoperative Ultrasound and comprehensive Intraoperative Neuromonitoring
- Neuroendoscope system to maximize outcomes and minimise the invasiveness
- Micro Doppler to assess the blood vessels intraoperatively
- 2 full time Cath Labs to reduce delay during emergencies
- 1 full time dedicated Neurosurgery Operation Suite to perform emergency and elective surgeries
Scope of Services
- Complex Cerebrovascular Surgery – Brain Aneurysms, Arterio – venous Malformations, Cavernomas, Dural Arterio – venous fistulas, Cerebral Revascularization / Bypass, Carotid Endarterectomy and Stroke Surgery
- Neuro-oncology – Awake Craniotomy, Functional Mapping, Intra-operative Neuromonitoring and Intra-operative Ultrasound
- Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery – including Key-hole approaches to the brain and Endoscopic approaches to treat tumours, Hydrocephalus.
- Pediatric Congenital Malformations – Myelomeningocele, Lipomeningocele, Tethered Cord Syndrome, Chiari Malformations
- Spine – Degenerative Spinal Disorders, Spinal Infections, Congenital Spine Disorders
- Functional Neurosurgery – Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson’s Disease, Epilepsy Surgery and Microvascular Decompression of Cranial Neuralgias
- Trauma – Head and Spinal Trauma
Neurological disorders can be both devastating and life-changing for patients and their families. Therefore, our team of neurologists, neurosurgeons, nurses, and critical care staff are trained and equipped to provide customised treatments for each patient. Interventional neurology is a vital part of neurology. In this subspeciality, the doctor and the team use minimally invasive techniques such as using catheters and radiology to accurately diagnose and treat a plethora of conditions and diseases of the central nervous system. The brain and spinal cord make up the central nervous system. Interventional neurology tries to stay clear of open surgery and use tools that pass-through blood vessels to treat and diagnose neurological diseases. The hospital is equipped with the latest advanced radiology imaging and 3D technology to help the doctor diagnose and treat the various conditions.
Apollo Speciality Hospital, Madurai, has a dedicated department with cutting-edge technologically advanced machines. We complete more than 150 therapeutic procedures and more than 300 diagnostics annually. The hospital has various radiological services such as Neuro-sonogram Trans-cranial Doppler, 24 slice, 64 slice and 320 slice CAT scans, PET CT Scanner, 1.5 Tesla MRI with provisions for Spectroscopy, Tractography and Functional studies.
Apollo Speciality Hospital, Madurai, has a dedicated, top-class stroke unit that is multidisciplinary care for diagnoses, emergency treatment, prevention and rehabilitation, and secondary prevention of complications for stroke patients. Our doctors ensure every stroke patient gets a complete assessment and customised rehabilitation program – if required.
Video Telemetry & Comprehensive Epilepsy Care Unit
Apollo hospitals Madurai takes pride in establishing a comprehensive epilepsy care unit with video telemetry equipment for the first time in south Tamilnadu. People are welcome to approach our Neurologists for any seizure-related queries and suggestions, Appropriate and prompt guidance will be provided in a step towards comprehensive epilepsy care and management. Video telemetry is a special type of EEG. The brain waves are recorded with electrodes attached to the scalp along with a video using a camera. This allows for a perfect correlation of a suspected paroxysmal event with the corresponding EEG pattern.