Gastroenterology in Chennai
A plethora of high end treatments for Gastrointestinal disorders
The primary aim of our Institutes of Medical and Surgical Gastroenterology is to diagnose, prevent and treat disorders of the digestive tract, liver and pancreatico-biliary system in both children and adults. The department offers superior care and with modern state-of-art facilities. The Centres offer the latest Endoscopic procedures for Gastrointestinal bleed, Gastrointestinal cancers, foreign body removal etc.
Our Gastrointestinal Surgeons provides minimal access surgery to treat major gastrointestinal surgical problems of the intestines, pancreas and hepatobiliary tract , including cancers, and has gained substantial recogniton both in India and abroad. Apart from this, our internationally renowned transplant care programme performs adult and pediatric Liver Transplants as well as cutting edge Hepatobiliary procedures.
Upper GI Endoscopy
In this, a flexible endoscope is used to visualize the upper GI tract. The oesophagus, stomach, and duodenum – the first part of the small intestine make up the upper GI tract.
This test helps in visualizing and evaluating the lining of the middle part of the gastrointestinal tract, consisting of the three portions of the small intestine (duodenum, jejunum and ileum).
In Enteroscopy, which is a test used to examine the small intestine (small bowel), a thin, flexible tube (endoscope) is passed through the mouth or nose and into the upper gastrointestinal tract.
Colonoscopy is a diagnostic procedure performed to look inside the colon and rectum. Colonoscopy is used to find inflamed tissue, ulcers, and abnormal growths. It is also used to look for early signs of colorectal cancer.
E R C P
ERCP is a procedure that allows the doctors to diagnose diseases in the gallbladder, bile ducts, and pancreas.
This test is used to check if the oesophagus is contracting and relaxing properly.
Patients with constipation or fecal incontinence are evaluated with this test, which measures the pressures of the anal sphincter muscles, the sensation in the rectum, and also checks for the neural reflexes that are required for normal bowel movements.
This test evaluates the strength of the sphincter muscles and whether they relax as they are supposed to, while passing a stool. It is extremely helpful in the treatment of fecal incontinence and severe constipation.
Endoscopic Ultrasonography [EUS] is a combination of endoscopy with ultrasonography. This test is conducted using an endoscope with a small ultrasound machine attached to the tip of the endoscope.
Details of Surgeries performed
- Surgeries for benign and malignant conditions of oesophagus, stomach, intestines, liver and pancreas
- Cholecystectomy, Appendectomy, Splenectomy and Intestinal Resections including Minimally Invasive options for diseases of these organs
- Hiatus Hernia Surgery is a commonly performed procedure.
- Complex Biliary reconstruction surgery for bile duct strictures with very good outcomes
- The Minimally Invasive Surgery Division is one of the highlights of the Centre and performs the largest number of laparoscopic procedures in the country. The team routinely performs basic laparoscopic procedures as well as complex procedures such as laparoscopic oesophageal surgery, gastric resections, colorectal surgery, pancreatic surgery, small bowel surgery, Stretta and Secca to treat sphincter disorders.
It is now possible to treat even severe Hepatobiliary disease with advanced technology and surgical methods. Apollo Hospital’s Centers for Hepatobiliary surgery provide complete treatments for diseases of the liver, pancreas and bile duct.
Some of them are:
- Radiofrequency ablation and chemoembolisation of liver tumours and cancers
- Pancreatic Transplantation
- Pancreatic Surgery
- Bile Duct Surgery
- Gall Bladder Surgery
- Portal Hypertension Surgery and Liver Cirrhosis Management
- Minimal Access Surgery
Our liver transplant care programme is committed to giving effective health care by reaching out to people suffering from liver disease. The Centers for Liver Diseases and Transplantation, Apollo Hospital possess the latest cutting edge technology for liver surgery such as the laparoscopic Argon Beam Laser , Tissue Link etc , in addition to techniques of liver resection like CUS and Laparoscopic Vascular Stapling. Bloodless Liver Surgery is performed with world class outcomes .
- Meticulous aseptic measures are needed for Liver transplant surgeries. Keeping this in mind, these surgeries are done in exclusive OT facilities with laminar flow.
- The centres use the most advanced techniques for liver surgery like laparoscopic Argon Beam Laser and Tissue Link which are used along with procedures of liver resection like CUS and Laparoscopic Vascular Stapling. They also perform Bloodless Liver Surgery with great success.
- Routine and emergency requirements of blood are addressed by our 24 X 7 Blood Bank facilities.
- For the investigation of patients of liver transplantation including donors and recipients, specialized Pathology and Immunology facilities are available at our laboratories.
- Dedicated Hepatobiliary Critical Care Unit, an on call Hepatobiliary physician, Anesthesia staff and a specially trained OR nursing team are all available.
- Dedicated CCU facilities and Multi Organ Transplant Units (MOTU) facilitate meticulous monitoring of postoperative convalescence of donors and recipients.
Implanting a healthy pancreas usually into a diabetic whose pancreas is malfunctioning is termed as a pancreas transplant. As the pancreas is a vital organ, and has several functions that are critical to digestion, the recipient’s own pancreas is left in place, and the donated pancreas is implanted elsewhere in the body. Pancreatic Transplantation is routinely done at Apollo Hospitals, Chennai.