Critical Care Services in Chennai
The Critical Care units at Apollo Hospitals, Chennai integrate many specialties and diverse technologies, offering the possibility of survival to patients who are acutely and critically ill.
State of the art Critical Care units need the integration of several medical specialties and technologies, so that they can offer the best chance of survival to patients who are acutely and critically ill. Meticulous organisation of Critical Care services is needed to achieve good results in outcome measures such as mortality, length of stay and infection rates.
Training of nurses in handling critically ill patients, standardized care processes through the deployment of clinical pathways and sensitivity towards ethical and economic issues related to Critical Care are vital to a successful Critical Care programme. Apollo Hospitals, Chennai prides itself in its well managed Critical Care facilities.
- Acutely ill patients are vulnerable to health care associated infection, resulting in morbidity and a prolonged length of hospital stay
- We have infection control protocols that are a set of interventions developed by the Infection control specialists, Intensivists & Anesthetists
- ICUs are areas where mistakes & omissions in care can result in life threatening situations.
- Compliance with hospital and unit infection control policies is mandatory in the ICU. Processes like hand-washing before & after examining a patient; use of alcohol hand rubs; use of sterile barriers & disposable gloves; safe disposal of all sharps & patient consumables; & traffic control are practised and monitored carefully.
- Checklist of care is prepared and followed .Checklist use has indeed reduced ALOS & improved infection control parameters .
Clinical Handovers are very critical for patient care in critical care units. A protocol for clinical handovers improves patient safety by providing treatment information at a glance to care providers and affords a better chance for the team member to identify areas of concern.