Verified by Dr. Punit Jain- Consultant Hematology & Hemat-Oncology, Lead Bone Marrow Transplant Program, Apollo Cancer Centres, Navi Mumbai; Dr. Vipin Khandelwal- Consultant Hematology & Hemat-Oncology, Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant Physician, Apollo Cancer Centres, Navi Mumbai & Dr. Purvi Kutty- Consultant Hematology & Hemat-Oncology, Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant Physician, Apollo Cancer Centres, Navi Mumbai
Anemia is a condition in which the oxygen carrying capacity of blood cells is decreased due to low haemoglobin levels as a result of which body tissues do not get enough oxygen. It is a major public health problem in India. According to the National Family Health Survey (NFHS) 5 done between 2019-2021, the prevalence of anemia among women (15-49 years) is 57.0%, among children (6-59 months) is 67.1%, among adolescent girls (15-19 years) is 59.1%, in pregnancy is 52.2% while in adult men it is 25%. The prevalence of anemia is higher among women and children from rural areas, poor households, and lower castes.
The government of India has initiated an intensive program to counteract the rising incidence and prevalence of anemia in India called ‘Anemia Mukt Bharat’. Supporting this initiative, here is an overview to understand anemia- its causes, symptoms and complications.
The main causes of anemia in children and adults in India are:
- Iron deficiency anemia: It is the most common type of anemia caused by a lack of iron in the diet or chronic blood loss or poor absorption of iron from the intestine.
- Folate deficiency anemia: This type of anemia occurs when the body does not have enough folate, a vitamin that is needed to make red blood cells.
- Vitamin B12 deficiency anemia: When the body does not have enough vitamin B12, a vitamin that is needed to make red blood cells, it leads to vitamin B12 deficiency anemia.
- Anemia of chronic disease: This type of anemia is caused by chronic diseases, such as cancer, kidney disease, and rheumatoid arthritis. These diseases can interfere with the body’s ability to produce red blood cells.
- Hemolytic anemia: There is destruction of red blood cells due to inherited conditions, such as thalassemia, sickle cell anemia, or by an acquired condition, such as an autoimmune disease.
- Aplastic anemia: There is a decrease in the production of red blood cells in the bone marrow caused by a number of factors, including leukemias, infection, and certain medications.
The effects or the symptoms of anemia can vary depending on the severity of the anemia. Some common effects/symptoms of anemia include:
- Shortness of breath
- Pale skin
- Chest pain
- Rapid heartbeat
- Difficulty concentrating
- Cold hands and feet
- Jaundice in cases of hemolytic anemia
- Pain in the hands and feet in individuals with sickle cell disease
In severe cases, anemia can lead to complications such as heart failure, stroke, and death.
If you or your loved one have anemia, it is important to get appropriate treatment to prevent complications. Treatment for anemia depends on the type of anemia you have. Getting regular blood tests to check your hemoglobin levels is an important preventive measure in the fight against anemia.
Anemia Clinic at Apollo Cancer Centres, Navi Mumbai offers expertise for the early diagnosis & treatment of anemia & its complications.
Do not overlook anemia as a minor disorder or deficiency. Getting treatment on time may help prevent life-threatening complications.
Consult our experts, Dr. Punit Jain- Consultant Hematology & Hemat-Oncology, Lead Bone Marrow Transplant Program, Apollo Cancer Centres, Navi Mumbai; Dr. Vipin Khandelwal- Consultant Hematology & Hemat-Oncology, Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant Physician, Apollo Cancer Centres, Navi Mumbai & Dr. Purvi Kutty- Consultant Hematology & Hemat-Oncology, Pediatric Bone Marrow Transplant Physician, Apollo Cancer Centres, Navi Mumbai today. Call 022 6280 6280 for an appointment.
- Bone Marrow Transplant2
- Cardiac sciences33
- Child Care5
- Clinical Excellence33
- General Medicine4
- Genomic Medicine2
- Kidney Transplant4
- Kidney Transplant1
- Liver Transplant5
- Nephrology & Urology2
- Obstetrics & Gynecology3
- Patient Speak1
- Pediatric Surgery2
- Robotic Suregry1
- Robotic Surgery8
- Women Care5