Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) is a common hormonal condition that affects women in their childbearing years. PCOS affects the ovaries, the reproductive organs responsible for producing progesterone and oestrogen and regulating the menstrual cycle. The syndrome causes high male hormone levels and cysts in the ovaries, which results in irregular periods.
Cause of PCOS
While the exact cause of PCOS is unknown, experts attribute the excess production of androgen in the body to the following factors:
- Insulin resistance
- Excess Inflammation
Common symptoms of the Polycystic Ovary Syndrome include:
- Irregular periods
- Heavy bleeding
- Excess body hair growth (hirsutism)
- Weight gain – About 80% of all women facing this condition are either overweight or obese.
- Male pattern baldness – Hair on the scalp will start getting thinner and eventually fall out.
- Headaches – Due to hormonal changes, headaches can be triggered in some women.
- Darkening of the skin – PCOS can lead to the creation of dark patches on the skin on the neck, under the breasts and in the groin.
PCOS can be risk factor for multiple conditions, diseases and disorders, including the following:
- Metabolic syndrome
- Sleep apnoea
- Endometrial cancer
As common as PCOS maybe, left uncontrolled, it can lead to all the aforementioned ailments.While there is no permanent cure for the condition, lifestyle changes and medical intervention can control and sometimes treat various symptoms. Most importantly, regular monitoring of PCOS can help reduce risk of infertility, diabetes, heart disease, and some forms of cancer.
This makes it imperative to see an experienced specialist for its management.At Apollo Hospitals Navi Mumbai’ PCOS clinic, a team of specialists help advise patients regarding necessary lifestyle changes and prescribe medications to help women overcome common symptoms like altruism. Expert gynaecologists with decades of experience, along with specialists like dietician, psychologistsand our state-of-the-art technology, provide patients with comprehensive care under one roof.