You work hard, pay your taxes, hold the door for the person behind you and dump trash in the dustbin because you are an upstanding member of the society. But are you equally upstanding when it comes to your own health? If you spend too much time parking yourself on a chair or a couch then you probably are not. The seemingly harmless act of sitting down has been linked to a number of health issues by numerous studies, which have contributed to changing our conventional perceptions about it.
Health Concerns of Sitting Too Much:
Life flows with such ease for us that our work, commute, leisure, can all be accomplished while being seated. We have all slowly coaxed ourselves into a sedentary lifestyle which rarely demands any physical activity. While certainly, our capacity to avail and enjoy short term comforts has amplified, it has come at the cost of our physical fitness and longevity. Sedentary lifestyle, whose flag bearer is prolonged sitting, has been linked to a host of health risks, namely cardiovascular disease, hypertension, obesity, metabolic disorders, type II diabetes and abnormal cholesterol levels. In addition to these, poor posture when we sit contributes to another array of ailments such as chronic back and neck pain. Studies have also suggested that people who spent mostly sedentary lifestyles have increased risks of dying prematurely from any given cause compared to people who lead mostly active lives.
Take a stand against sitting:
If you are someone who spends a major chunk of the day sitting behind a desk or on a couch, follow these simple tips and ensure you spend more time on your feet–
- Thinking on your toes – Office meetings are long, (boring), and above all killing your health. Opt instead to have walking meetings, whenever possible, outside in the garden or on the rooftop with your co-workers. You may also consider the increased creativity because of improved blood flow, to be a bonus.
- Walk and talk – Use mobile phones how they were intended to be used for, carry them and walk around when you have to receive or make phone calls.
- Work hard, break harder – Don’t fall into the trap of spending hours and hours in front of your computer at a stretch. Take short breaks and rest your eyes at regular intervals.
- Finding yourself in a stretch – While on your self-gifted breaks, ensure you stretch your limbs and move your joints doing simple stretching exercises.
- Paid break– Advertisers pay a fortune to have their ads up between your favourite shows. Next time your show breaks to a commercial, take it as your cue to stretch your limbs and take a quick walk, and also thank the advertisers who paid millions to make it possible for you.
- Power pose – Sitting down is inevitable and whenever you have to, ensure you maintain a good posture with your back straight and your shoulders back and relaxed with your body weight distributed evenly.
Sitting is the new smoking, and its harm to our health slowly building up over time. Switching to an active & consistent lifestyle seems to be the obvious solution to the problem of prolonged sitting. Here, consistency is the keyword and spreading out your physical activities throughout the day is as important as not leading a sedentary life.
If you wish to seek further assistance, book an appointment with the best Orthopedician in India at Ask Apollo.