Oppressive heat during summers often leaves us all sweating buckets and looking for ways to stay cool and hydrated. With the rising temperatures, it becomes important to drink a lot of liquids like water, juices, coconut water and water rich foods not just once or twice, but throughout the day.
“The heat can leave you feeling tired, dehydrated, drained and hamper your day to day activities.”
While it is necessary to drink a lot of liquids, it is equally important to not have juices or drinks high in sugar or caffeine as that can have an adverse effect on the body. Visit the Lifestyle center at Apollo clinics to get tips on staying hydrated in the summers.
Here are five simple tips that will help you feel great even in the summers:
- Eat water rich foods: Eat foods that have high water content like watermelon, grapes, berries, cucumber and celery as they keep you hydrated. These foods are delicious and do a wonderful job in keeping you hydrated.
- Add flavor to water: Drinking plain water daily can get boring. Make water tasty by adding natural flavors like lemon, mint leaves, cucumber and strawberry. This way you will consume more water and enjoy the taste too.
- Avoid alcohol: Alcohol and carbonated drinks dehydrate the body. Substitute the drinks for plain water or juices.
- Always carry a bottle of water: Wherever you go, always carry a bottle of water in your bag. Having a water bottle makes it easy for you to drink more water without thinking about it.
- Don’t wait: One of the biggest mistakes we all make is to wait till we feel very thirsty to drink water. Thirst is a sign of dehydration. Don’t wait till you can’t stand a dry throat any longer. Have small gulps of water throughout the day at regular intervals.