Come winter and respiratory problems are on the rise and become worse. Two of the most common respiratory problems that affect people are asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Asthma is more common than COPD and affects over 100 million people all over the world. Those suffering from respiratory disorders have congested lungs, blocked/tight or swollen airways and involuntary contraction of muscles.
The reason for the rise in respiratory diseases in winter is due to a number of factors and varies from individual to individual. Some of the most common factors are changes in temperature, heavy smog, rise in pollen and rise in infections. If you or any of your loved ones are facing breathing problems which tend worsen in winter, visit your nearest Apollo hospital to find out how to manage them and get relief.
If one or more of the symptoms is seen, the patient needs to be rushed to a well-equipped emergency.
- Inability to speak a complete sentence due to severe breathing trouble
- Uncontrolled cough and wheezing that can be heard without a stethoscope
- Inability to lie down
- Lips and nails turning blue; hands and feet turning cold
- Extreme agitation
- Pulling in of the chest wall while breathing
- Being confused or drowsy
Tips To Breathe Easy
- Take prescribed medicines without fail. For any concern regarding dose or side effects, consult your doctor but never stop or alter the dosage on your own.
- Clean breathing equipments like your inhaler and spacer at least once a week.
- Avoid items that trigger an asthma attack.
- Avoid exposure to the cold air, which might trigger an attack.
- Take reliever inhaler before unavoidable exposure to triggers like smoke.
- Do not stop regular exercise. In extreme cold weather, it may be done indoors.
- While going out for vacations, carry all your medicines, preferably with extra supplies.