- 1 cup flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup non-fat dry milk powder
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp powdered sugar
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Use a non-stick 8 x 8 x 2-inch pan.
- In large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon; set aside.
- In medium bowl, beat the sugar, brown sugar, non-fat dry milk powder, egg white, applesauce and vanilla with a spoon until well combined. Stir wet mixture into dry mixture, mixing just until moistened. Spread evenly in prepared pan. Bake 22 to 23 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Dust with powdered sugar or top with chopped nuts.
Apple sauce is a great substitute for fat in cakes and desserts, since it provides the moisture and richness without the negative effects of oil or butter.
Prep Time: 10 mins, Total Time: 25 mins
- 2 large tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 -3 tablespoons sugar
Place apples, water, and cinnamon in a heavy saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Mash sugar into the apples; cook for another 5 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick.