Beauty and fragrance alone don’t make roses what they are. Ingrained in them are a wide range of medicinal properties. Rose petals have high vitamin content and the curvy seedpod called “rose hip” is also a great source of Vitamins A, B3, C, D, and E.
They are also rich in bioflavonoids, citric acid, fructose, malic acid, tannins, iron, calcium, phosphorus, niacin and zinc.
- Rose infusion is used to treat asthma, high blood pressure, bronchitis, slow circulation, diarrhoea, cough, fever, fluid retention, indigestion, insomnia, palpitation, stress and urinary tract infections.
- Due to its strong and pleasant fragrance, rose petals are used for making perfumes. Essential oils are also extracted from it. Both the perfumes and the essential oils from rose have antidepressant and sedative properties. They calm the nerves and reduce stress and anxiety.
- Due to its cooling effect, rose infusion is also consumed as tea. It effectively cleanses the body of toxins and heat.
- Rose has a diuretic effect and hence is beneficial in relieving excessive fluids from the urinary bladder.
This Ayurvedic tonic prepared from the sweet preserve of rose petals has its own range of benefits.
- Improves blood quality by reducing pitta dosha which is responsible for the yellowish foul smelling sweat and heat in the body.
- Helps in treating muscular aches, lethargy and itchiness
- Improves digestion and metabolism
- Removes heat from the intestines and helps clear pimples and scars
- Vidanga or Vavding (Ayurvedic powder) when mixed with Gulkand helps destroy worms in the stomach or intestines
- Reduces constipation
- Reduces hyperacidity
- Reduces redness and inflammation of the eyes
- Strengthens the gums and teeth
- Helps against water retention and increases urine output
- Reduces menstrual cramps and helps against painful and heavy menstrual discharge and white discharge in women
- Facilitates digestion and reduces nausea
- Helps heal ulcers in the mouth
- Helps treat nose bleeds
- Strengthens the bones
- For a glowing skin, mix sandalwood powder with rose water and apply a thin coat of the paste on the skin and wash off when dry.
- To eliminate acne and pimples, apply rose water mixed with a few drops of lemon juice.
- Mix few drops of rose water with honey and apply the mixture to the scars that are left behind by the pimples.
- Add a few drops of rose water to your bathtub. It soothes your swollen feet and calms the nerves.