Alligator pear or avocados are round, pear shaped or oblong, and the skin of this fruit may vary in texture and colour. The fruit is highly recommended for skin care, as a food for bodybuilding and as a medicine for cholesterol-related heart diseases.
Avocados have potassium level 1.6 times more than bananas. A serving of about 100 g of avocado has 177 calories, contains no cholesterol and has about 17 g of fat. The latter is primarily monounsaturated, similar in composition to the fat found in olive.
Avocado For Skin Care
- Oils from olive, wheat germ, safflower, sesame, almond, apricot kernel and avocado are closer in composition to the natural secretions of the skin. Most of them are also rich in linoleic acid, an essential fatty acid that aids in the renewal of skin cells.
- Avocados soften and nourish the skin—mash one half of an avocado and apply it to your face. Leave it on to dry and then rinse with warm water.
- Avocados contain essential fatty acids and other nutrients that help prevent premature wrinkling.
- Avocado can be applied as a paste on rashes and rough skin to make it smoother.
- The brighter the fruit, the more the beta-carotene (essential forpreventing cancer) in it. Beta- carotene too helps check the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, wards off premature ageing and combats age spots.
- The flesh of a ripe avocado soothes sunburnt skin. Just cut the fruit into half and rub it gently over the affected areas.
- Eat an avocado everyday if you’re recuperating from sickness and are trying to regain your strength.
- Massaging the scalp with avocado pulp or using an avocado mask hydrates the scalp and keeps the moisture in. It strengthens the hair, checks hair fall, and gives it bounce, shine and volume.
- The easiest way to include avocado in your diet is to have it in a bread sandwich. To preserve, avocados should be mashed and placed in the freezer.
- Used traditionally to help people with sexual problems.
- Aids digestion and helps treat problems related to blood circulation.
- Helps in the prevention and treatment of various cancers like those of the breast and prostate.
- Contains oleic acid that helps in lowering cholesterol levels.
- A good source of potassium, it helps in regulating blood pressure.