Just joined a gym? It is possible that you are finding it difficult to keep yourself motivated with all the muscles in your body refusing to cooperate with you. Don’t listen to them! What your muscles don’t know is how good this pain is for them.
Any new strenuous physical activity can lead to muscle soreness. This is called Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. You may experience an increasing discomfort between 24 and 48 hours of your physical activity. Do not worry. This pain just signals towards the extra strength your muscles are growing. It just means your muscles are getting used to your fitness regime. How often have you heard the term: no pain, no gain?
That doesn’t of course mean that you cannot do anything to help your pain. Here are some tips which will not only offer comfort to your aching muscles but will also help you keep up the motivation to hit the gym tomorrow.
- Ice pack or hot pack: Cold or hot packs help in reducing soreness by bringing down stress. A quick warm shower also does wonders for your body by easing those muscles into relaxation.
- Where is the salt? Epsom salts composed of Magnesium Sulphate act as a natural muscle relaxant. 2-3 spoons of an Epsom salt in a warm tub of water will work like magic on your back. Be careful, the water should be warm, not hot.
- Keep your muscles alive: Don’t keep your muscles in the same position for a long time. If you have been sitting for a long time, get up, take a small walk and then go back to work. Stress and anxiety isn’t good for your muscles. In case you find stress getting the better of you, just move around, and try distracting yourself.
- Oil massage: Massaging gives you immense relief, stimulating blood circulation. Massaging with basil or marjoram oil can be of great help.
- Cherry juice: Cherry juice helps in dealing with muscle pain and inflammation caused due to running long distances. The fruit has anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory qualities that help in reducing pain.
There you go. Now you are ready to face the next exercise cycle your gym instructor will introduce. Keep working out. Stay fit. Stay fab.