Are you experiencing a shooting pain on the left side of the chest, shortness of breath, light-headedness? Well, then there’s a high chance that you are having a heart attack. It’s a common misconception that heart diseases are just a problem men face. However, it is quite prevalent in women as well.
Almost every woman faces the threat of heart disease or heart attack in their lifetime. Thus, one must be aware of the symptoms and the risk factors involving heart conditions, so they are able to assess their health better.
After a woman goes through menopause, the risk of heart disease increases. Here are the few changes a woman’s heart might go through after or during the onset of menopause:
- Palpitation: If you feel your heart is beating rapidly, don’t assume it for natural flutters. Such rapid heartbeat can be a sign of atrial fibrillation. Atrial fibrillation can be one of the major causes of heart attack and must be attended quickly.
- Shortness of breath: Has climbing stairs or going for a jog become a painful task? Well, then you must see a doctor. Congestive heart failure or coronary artery disease can be a cause of shortness of breath you are facing. Even atrial fibrillation can be a reason.
- Pressure: A mild pressure on the heart can also mean a heart attack. It’s advisable not to wait till the time one experiences a crushing pain in the chest. Even fullness, squeezing feeling or a dull pressure can be a sign of heart attack and you must attend to it as soon as possible!
- Light & Dizzy: If you are feeling lightheaded or feel like you are going to faint, then it can be due to several reasons. It might include diabetes, heart failure or heart arrhythmia like atrial fibrillation. This should not be neglected and doctor’s advice must be taken immediately.
- Jaw Ache: If your jaw has been aching for a long time now, then you must seek medical help as soon as possible. An aching jaw can be a sign of an unhealthy heart & heart attack.
- Swollen feet: If your feet has suddenly swollen up and looks a tad bit gigantic, it doesn’t mean you have gained weight. It might be a result of congestive heart failure because of which fluid gets collected in your feet.
- Can’t lie flat: One of the reasons for not being able to lie down flat can be that you are having congestive heart failure and all the fluid is being collected in your lungs. This will restrict you from lying down and can cause a heart attack.
We know that menopause can’t be avoided and it’s a natural change that every woman undergoes. However, women can avoid heart diseases that crawl up during menopause. Women who don’t smoke, eat healthy & nutritious food, exercise on a regular basis have a higher chance of avoiding heart diseases than others.