It’s winter time once again and it brings with it not only cool weather but a lot of serious ailments, especially common cold, which is the most common ailment we humans are plagued with making us feel terrible. As adults, we somehow find ways to manage the cold but it’s terrible to see young kids suffer.
It is almost impossible to help kids avoid getting a cold but there are ways you can help your child deal with it. Remember that there will be tantrums thrown when a kid is unwell, especially when it’s common cold, so learn to deal with them accordingly. If possible, take measures to keep your child from getting the cold.
Teach your child the following steps so that they can be safe in the winters:
- Wash your hands – A cold is an airborne infection that you can get from basically anything. Washing your hands frequently destroys viruses that you may have acquired by touching surfaces. Carrying a hand sanitizer or wet wipes will also help.
- Don’t touch your face – If you are in a public area, do not touch your face. Give your child tissues so that they don’t give themselves a cold again by touching their nose, eyes and mouth.
- Take it easy – Do not stress on following a set routine when your child has a cold. Immunity is hit when too much activity is involved. By making your child go to school, you are spreading the cold and stalling the healing process.
- Drink plenty of water – It’s not easy to have water when suffering from a cold but fluids speed up the healing process. Give your child plenty of fluids, at least 8 glasses, so that they stay hydrated.
- Avoid medications – It may be tempting to take one more tablet so that the cold goes away but avoid the temptation. Medicines lead to dehydration, elevate blood pressure levels, constipation and are even known to cause tremors.
If your child already has the cold, look for herbal remedies to cure it instead of opting for allopathic medicines. Some easy remedies include:
- Drink warm water
- Boil water, add ginger juice, lemon juice and honey to it and consume.
- Add ajwain to water, boil till quantity is reduced to half and drink.
- Take steam inhalation at least twice a day for 5-7 minutes.
- Drink milk mixed with turmeric and peppercorns.
- Take a steamy, hot shower