- --Turn towards a low calorie yet heavy diet for breakfast; a fresh juice would rejuvenate you.
- --Take a walk towards your office, it would be a good exercise and would keep your heart rate optimum.
- --Instead of coffee, hear music to release stress; it's safe and healthy too.
- --Have a light healthy dinner. The night is the time when your body rests, so it's better that you should give your digestive system some rest too.
- --Late night parties could be fun, but surely not good for health. Proper rest is required for proper functioning of your heart.
“Time is Life” in Sudden Cardiac ArrestTime-to-treatment is very crucial in determining the chances of survival of an SCA patient. In most of the cases, the patient goes not receive life-saving defibrillation within the time which initially leads to brain death and then gradually to permanent death. The patient should receive treatment within first 4 to 6 minutes to survive. What Can You Do in a SCA Emergency?
- Identify the symptoms and act quickly. The emergency arises without any warning making the victim unconscious, unresponsive, collapsing, and not breathing properly.
- Call the emergency number immediately.
- Don’t waste a single minute. Start doing CPR (cardiopulmonary resuscitation) as soon as possible. Conduct CPR with your hands compressing the chest of the patient in the middle. Do it hard and fast approximately 100 times in a minute. It can prove to be a lifesaver.
- Try to carry the patient immediately to a hospital while continuing the hand CPR.
- Try to help with Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs). This automated device can be used by non-medical people as well to save the life of a victim. These devices are installed in public places, airports, corporate houses, shopping malls, stadiums, gyms, hotels, schools, and other organizations.
- Embrace a healthy lifestyle: Maintain proper body weight, do physical activity, exercise regularly, and avoid smoking.
- Manage and monitor your health condition: If you had a heart attack or if you are suffering from conditions like diabetes, hypertension, high blood pressure, or high cholesterol, you need to be watchful and get yourself treated as soon as possible.
- Family history: Go for regular checkups if you have a family history of coronary heart disease.
- • Risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- • Impaired glucose tolerance.
- • Risk of diabetes.
- • Risk of hypertension.
- • Increased triglycerides.
- • Risk of cardiovascular diseases.
Childhood ObesityKids getting hooked onto video games, laptops, and mobile phones might seem a contemporary reality for most of us. However, the dangerous nature of this trend is little understood by many of us. It might seem an easier solution for parents to divert a child with a mobile phone when he/she is crying, but look at the consequences of this. It has been found out in a survey conducted by the WHO that 40 million children under five years are overweight and 30 million among them are from developed nations. Is it okay to keep children indoors just for ease of managing? Let’s find out. Childhood Obesity has now become one of the most serious health concerns of this century and is increasingly affecting the developing nations. Most of the childhood obesity cases are seen in the urban areas. The seriousness of this condition is in the future complications it creates. In the long term, childhood obesity can lead to some serious illnesses like:
- • Elevated Cholesterol leading to many heart ailments.
- • High Blood Pressure.
- • Type 2 Diabetes.
- • Arthritis.
- • Respiratory Problems.
- • Lifestyle choices with limited range of activities.
- • Diet: Choosing unhealthy options.
- • Environment: What you stack up in your refrigerator is what your child would gobble.
- • Using food as a coping mechanism for psychological inadequacies.
- • Certain Medical conditions like Prader-Willi syndrome, and hypothyroidism.
- • Unhealthy sleep patterns.
How to stop childhood obesity:
- • Increase breastfeeding in early childhood. This not only reduces the appetite of children, it also prompts them to eat only as much as they need.
- • Provide healthy diet with meals, snacks, and physical activity.
- •It’s not good to isolate them since they are obese. Take measures for spending quality time with them.
- • Provide vegetables, whole grains, fruits, lentils, nuts and lean meats.
- • Restrict the use of aerated drinks, ice creams, and other junk food to a minimum.
- • Make the favorite dishes healthier using smart recipes that don’t use trans fats,sodium, sugar or red meats.
- • Indulge in poultry, fish, and other protein that’s cooked and not fried.
- • It is often an issue for parents to figure out the exact serving sizes for children.The recommended serving size for children would be 2 to 3 servings of fruit, 2 to 3 servings of vegetables, 6 to 11 servings of grain, 2 servings of meat and dairy respectively. However, the portion size varies with the age and the calorie needs of children.
- • Maintain food timings. This pays as the metabolic rate of the child gets tuned to the time.
- • Reduce sedentary life and get more physical activity. Allow them to play and run around for it’s this that keeps them vital and healthy.
Treatment options of obesity include:Changes in diet. Regular exercise. Weight loss surgery like Laparoscopic Gastric Band Surgery, Gastric Bypass, Bariatric Surgery…. Bariatric surgery has proved to be one of the successful options for weight loss with high efficacy. If you want to know about your suitability for a bariatric surgery, consult our doctors now. In the case of children who are either overweight or obese, it’s time to do some serious thinking. Childhood obesity can be nipped in the bud if you as parents are determined. Finally, your children are not crying for your mobile phones or laptops! Look in deeply; they might be asking for your attention and time.
What is breast cancer?A malignant tumor or the uncontrolled growth of the breast cells is breast cancer. Occurring usually in the lobules and the passages of milk, they invade the healthy cells and spread to other parts of the body. In some cases, breast cancer can also affect the connecting tissues of the breast.
Risk Factors of Breast CancerThere are several identified risk factors of breast cancer in women.
- • Family History.
- • Mutations in genes like BRCA1, BRCA2, and P53.
- • Long time exposure to endogenous estrogens.
- • Early menarche.
- • Late menopause.
- • Oral Contraceptives.
- • Hormone Replacement Therapy.
Breast cancer is classified into Stage 0, IA, IB, IIA, IIB, IIIA, IIIB, IIIC, and Stage IV. Each stage marks the extent of metastasis with the final stage signifying metastasis to other parts of the body. It is this final stage that is lethal and the survival rates are very low.
It is of high importance that women across nations be aware of the early signs and symptoms of breast cancer in order to increase the survival rates and maybe avoid it.Here are five alarming signs of breast cancer, which none should ignore.
1.Breast Lumps or Masses:This is one of the most common symptoms that appear in cases of breast cancer. One has to be worried if the lump is a new one, and is painless. Also, these lumps tend to have irregular edges, tender, soft or even rounded. It’s very important that any new mass or lump that appears in the breast be checked and one should contact a healthcare provider immediately.
2.Swelling to whole or part of the breast:Any kind of swelling of a part of the breast or the entire breast has to be taken seriously. Though this can happen in other conditions like infections or even pregnancy, it is important to look for other symptoms like irritation of the breast skin, and/or dimpling of it. A self breast examination would help notice any unusual changes. If so, women should immediately contact a doctor.
3.Changes in the skin of the breast can also be an indicator of breast cancer. These include:
- • Irritation/redness of the skin.
- • Thickening of skin.
- • Dimpling of breast tissue.
- • Change in the texture of the skin.
4.Change in the Nipple:Any kind of abnormal discharge from the nipple apart from milk is to be taken seriously. Also, an inversion of the nipple might also be a symptom of breast cancer. Pain in the nipple is also something that needs medical attention.
5.Lump in the Underarm:When there is a lump in the underarm, there is a good chance that it might be related to the breasts. The tissue of the breast extends to the underarms. Also, cancer of the breast can spread through the lymph nodes present under the arms. Women need to undergo regular mammograms along with lifestyle changes like maintaining a healthy weight, avoiding smoking and alcohol, and maintaining a diet rich in vegetables, fish, and low fat products to reduce the risk factors.
Know your HeartHuman heart is at the center-stage of life. Resting to the size of a fist, heart normal beat is between 60 to 100 times a minute. According to Henry Gray's anatomy, heart among men weighs between 280-400 grams and 230-280 grams in women. The primary crux of a heart is that, it pumps the blood to the body through circulatory system, while delivering oxygen and nutrients to the tissues. In this process, heart takes care of eliminating carbon dioxide and waste from the body. Tissues need regulation of nutrition to remain active. It is very crucial for a heart to carry on its activities vigilantly for a hale and hearty life.
Prerequisites of a healthy heartFresh air, clean and neat environment and nutritious diet helps a heart to stay safe. To successfully keep a heart active and healthy, it is essential to supply healthy food. Your heart stays healthy with fish for omega-3 fatty acids ( Example: Tuna, Sardines, Herring) yoghurt, low-fat milk, vegetables, fruits, dark chocolate, cheese, whole nuts, green tea and black tea. A daily walk of 30 minutes or workout boosts the health of heart.
Warning Signs of Cardiac DiseaseSome of the symptoms to check for cardiac arrest, stroke and heart attack are - arm weakness, speech difficulty and face dropping. Other symptoms also include discomfort in the upper areas of the body, cold sweat, nausea and lightheadedness. When you find any of these symptoms, follow the home remedies as below:
- • Arrange to make the person sit down and allow to maintain silence for rest
- • Give an aspirin as it release the blood clots
- • Call for the nearby medical help immediately
- • Check for the consciousness of the patient. If unresponsive, seek the emergency medical help over phone.
- • Examine the condition of patient
Health Issues that increase the risk of heart diseaseThere are many types of heart diseases and some of these are - Rheumatic heart disease, Hypertensive heart disease, Ischemic heart disease / Coronary heart disease, Cerebrovascular disease and Inflammatory heart disease.
Any one or more of the following factors enhance the risk of heart disease.
● Obesity ● Diabetes ● Overweight ● Arthritis ● Anemia ● Low or high blood pressure ● Hypertension ● Stress disordersWhile there are many causes for heart attacks, sometimes it shows up quickly and slowly in other instances. However, staying alert and seeking medical advice immediately can save for better life. Checking blood pressure levels can signal an early warning sign to consult for medical help. There is gigantic growth in medicine to treat cardiac ailments. Particularly the latest technology facilities, medical equipment and Robotic surgeries can cure any disease. Experiencing any pain should never be neglected. For regular and emergency care you need health and medical helpline. Choose best treatment for various cardiac diseases. Apollo hospitals has an established successful record of performing over 1,52,000 cardiac and cardiothoracic surgeries.