On this World Food Day, let’s give some food for thought and think about the food we eat. Food is the essential need of any human being apart from water. However, in the times we live in, food contamination, and junk food coupled with organic food, vegan diets, and fad diets have created so much confusion in us that we no longer know what’s good for us.
Our complicated days start with a variety of healthy breakfast cereals, yet we end up gobbling up the worst of trans fats later in the day. We are so pampered for choice with low sodium foods, low carb foods and a plethora of others in terms of healthy food. Then, there’s the other side of the coin where syrupy, dense, and pungent substances with titillating flavors entice us with their visual appeal and the Neanderthal in us tends to overtake the health conscious minion.
Moreover, there’s so much of information overkill on the media that we are at a total loss to choose. When one article goes about praising the merits of eggs, the other denounces it for the cholesterol it contributes to. How are we supposed to choose what’s good?
Let’s break apart this culinary conundrum. The wide variety of foods that we take for granted has been a phenomena of the recent times. Traditionally, the food we ate was consumed generations on and there was no need to reinvent the wheel.
Now, a cosmopolitan city has access to more international cuisines that it ever had before. And, exploring newer tastes has become the prerogative of people. Where one segment of the population still suffers from malnutrition, the other segment has everything in excess. Yet, most of us have certain basic requirements in the form of diet and we have a knack of missing it out.
When taken in the right proportion, food has the capacity to prevent diseases and keep us healthy for long. Here are some foods that have been scientifically proved to be possessing healing properties. It pays to consume them on a regular basis. These foods are fruits, nuts, vegetables, or meat.
10 awesome foods that heal:
1. Turmeric: To begin with, we are not starting with a food. Instead we are starting with a spice that has cancer preventing properties. Turmeric, with an active ingredient called curcumin, is a strong antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory spice that has numerous health benefits ranging from cancer preventing properties, reducing brain diseases, heart diseases, treating Alzheimer’s disease to fighting depression and increasing longevity. When consumed with black peppers, it has numerous benefits.
2. Olive Oil: With unparalleled health benefits, olive oil is highly used in Mediterranean cuisine and has been found to reduce the risks of heart diseases, and cancers. It has immense antioxidant properties along with abilities to neutralize blood pressure. It can be helpful in managing diabetes, obesity, and rheumatoid arthritis.
3. Pomegranate: Though it is messy to open out the seeds, pomegranate is the king of fruits and has incredible health benefits. This berry is loaded with nutrients like potassium, folate, vitamin K and C. With an active compound called Punicalagins, it reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases, cancer, Alzheimer’s, hypertension, arthritis, erectile dysfunction and many others.
4. Apple: Far from being the forbidden fruit, apples are the healthiest fruits that improve neurological health, memory power, heart health, digestive power, and aid the control of weight. Apples are known to prevent gallstones, reduce risk of stroke, diabetes, hemorrhoids, irritable bowel syndrome and many other diseases. So, dig into apples as long as they are not waxed!
5. Guavas: This super healing fruit has more lycopene that tomatoes and has immense disease preventing properties. It is full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals that revitalize the body and increase immunity. They reduce the risk of prostate cancer, coronary disease and a lot of gastrointestinal diseases.
6. Coconut: Coconuts are full of amino acids and sources of vitamins and minerals. They contain copper, zinc, iron, calcium, manganese, and magnesium. They have benefits including lowering the risk of diabetes, improving memory power, revitalizing the liver, protecting against immunity related diseases, and fighting cancer.
7. Ginger: One of the most delicious and healthiest spices available, ginger has an important ingredient called gingerol, which is both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant. It relieves morning sickness, nausea, muscle pain, osteoarthritis, and indigestion. It reduces the risk of heart diseases, menstrual pain, and prevents cancer.
8. Fish: There’s nothing fishy about it, but fish has a lot of health benefits that outweigh all other meats. It’s full of protein, omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin D, and other essential nutrients. Consuming fish twice a week is supposed to reduce the risk of heart diseases significantly, increase brain function, treat depression, and reduce the risk of autoimmune diseases.
9. Nuts: From almonds to Brazil nuts to macadamias, nuts are good sources of vitamins, minerals, omega 3 fatty acids, selenium, and others. They prevent the risk of heart disease, are full of antioxidants, and are good for maintaining the vitality of the body and mind.
10. Berries: Strawberries, blueberries, cranberries and all other berries are known for their tangy taste. They are rich in vitamin C, help you lose weight, help maintain neurological health, manage diabetes, improve heart health, and reduce the risk of cancer.
Food is both enjoyable and healthy when a person takes informed and conscious decisions. It is good for health when coupled with good physical and mental activity. Eat the right food and stay healthy.