The worst morning nightmare is waking up to pimply skin. You’d have experienced those annoying red spots on your face at least once in your life. Pimples are legendary for causing heartbreak and low self-esteem issues.
Here are 10 ways to get rid of them –
- Whether one has acne or not, one must do everything to keep the face clean by washing twice daily with a light cleanser and avoid using harsh soaps and chemicals to remove impurities, dead skin cells and extra oil secreted by the skin. Never ever scrub the skin harshly with a washcloth or with a loofah to exfoliate. One should simply wash it very gently, rinse and pat dry with a soft towel
- Choose the right moisturiser depending on one’s skin type. One should always choose the right moisturiser that reduces dryness or oiliness and skin peeling.
- If one must try an over-the-counter acne product, do it cautiously to see how the skin responds like how much peeling or drying tendencies one has, besides a sensitive skin.
- One must use makeup sparingly especially avoiding foundation, powder, or blush during a breakout. If one cannot avoid makeup, one must wash it off at the end of the day and use oil-free cosmetics without added dyes and chemicals. Read the chemical composition before buying a makeup product.
- One cannot randomly apply anything to the air like fragrances, oils, pomades, or gels. If the products slide down the face, they can potentially block the skin’s pores and irritate the skin. Preferably, use a gentle shampoo and conditioner and keep hair pulled away from the face.
- Avoid fiddling around the face with the hands as they are the largest carrier of bacteria which can irritate the skin, cause inflammation, rashes, pimples, infection and scarring.
- Avoid over exposure of the face and skin to the sun as that can lead to swelling, redness, tanning discoloration and over sensitivity to acne medication. Whether one is prone to acne or not, one should wear protective clothing, such as a long-sleeved shirt, pants, and a broad-brimmed hat, and always apply sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher at least 20 minutes before sun exposure.
- Eating good healthy food is the key to acne-free skin. Avoid highly processed foods, sugars , dairy products, oily and junk food. Include plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables and whole grains.
- Regular exercise and good personal hygiene like wearing appropriate exercise clothing that does not cause abrasions or irritation to the skin and showering and bathing after a workout can keep acne away.
- Avoiding unnecessary stress is also a key factor to keep the skin acne-free.
In case of any emergency, seek the advice and counsel of a qualified dermatologist regarding treatment and to prevent further skin complications.