The onset of spring often spells problems for people prone to allergies. Pollutants and pollen in the air are often the culprits. Among the various organs of the human body, the skin is one of the first to bear the brunt of the potent irritants. The results are skin sensitivity, skin eruptions, rashes, allergic reactions and so on.
- Cosmetics that are “cover creams” can be helpful. Formulations made from sandalwood are helpful against skin eruptions. They soothe the skin and form a transparent, protective cover.
- Another important ingredient that works well against such skin eruptions is tulsi or basil. Its germicidal and antiseptic properties have a soothing effect against the problem. Tulsi has so many medicinal uses that it has been traditionally venerated and worshiped too.
- Neem and Mint leaves can also be used for treating rashes and eruptions.
Home remedies for rashes and itchy skin
- Sandalwood paste can be applied on the eruptive conditions. You can also mix sandalwood with a little rose water and apply on the entire area.
- Apply two drops of tea tree oil mixed with two tablespoonfuls of water or rose water on the rashes and eruptions.
- For itchy skin, add one tablespoon vinegar to a mug of water and pour it on the affected area. It helps in getting some relief from itchiness.
- Simmer a handful of neem leaves on very low fire in four cups of water for one hour. Leave it overnight, then strain the water and make a paste out of the leaves. Apply it on the inflamed parts and rashes. The water can be used for rinsing the affected area. Neem contains organic sulphur compounds with versatile healing properties that are particularly beneficial for the skin.
- Add a little turmeric paste to milk and apply on the rashes for quick healing.
- Clays like fuller’s earth (multani mitti) have a cooling and soothing effect. Mix one tablespoon Fuller’s Earth with rose water. Apply the paste on the affected areas and wash off after 15 to 20 minutes. Bicarbonate of soda too offers relief from itchy skin. Add it to multani mitti and rose water to make a pack. Apply on the parts that are itchy; on the rashes and eruptions. Wash off after 10 minutes.