- 1 medium eggplant (about half a kilo)
- 1 cup cooked or canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 large garlic clove, mashed
- 2 tablespoons well-stirred tahini
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- Pita bread for serving
- Prepare a grill. Prick eggplant in several places with a fork. Grill about 3-4 inches from heat, turning every 10 minutes or so, until the eggplant is charred all over and very soft (about 45 minutes). Put eggplant in a bowl to cool and collect juices.
- When cold, peel skin off eggplant, discard skin, and transfer pulp to a blender or food processor. Add all remaining ingredients except parsley and puree until very smooth, scraping down sides with a rubber spatula as necessary.
- Transfer to serving bowl and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with fresh pita bread.