Native cultures across the globe have long known the health benefits of the versatile tomatoes. It is a powerhouse of nutrients, which when added to our meals tends to rev up the health quotient.
All the Goodness
- Lycopene (a carotenoid with potent antioxidant properties) in tomatoes fights free radical cellular damage and is linked with improvement in bone health.
- The antioxidant treasure in tomatoes also includes flavonols, glycosides and fatty acid derivatives which work wonders as a cardiovascular aid. They reduce the oxidative stress in heart tissues and improve the flow of oxygen across the bloodstream.
- Besides the phytonutrient content, being rich in Vitamin C and E helps tomatoes excel as a regulator of fat metabolism.
- Eating tomatoes or adding tomato extracts in any diet is shown to bring down the levels of triglycerides and total cholesterol.
- Tomato also contains Vitamin A which is good for the skin and immunity, and dietary fibre which keeps the blood sugar levels in control.
- Anti-ageing aid: Reduces wrinkles and enlarges pores. Apply a tomato pulp and honey face pack.
- Astringent power: Use freshly extracted tomato juice as a natural astringent and apply on the face and neck. Add a teaspoon of milk or curd for it to act as a cleanser for normal to dry skin. For oily skin, go for lime juice with tomato juice instead of milk.
- Acne, rashes and blackheads remover: Slice up a tomato and apply gently on the face to reduce blackheads. Mash a ripened tomato and apply it on the acne spots, leave it on for a few minutes and then wash it away with clean water to witness a visible reduction of acne and skin rashes within a week of regular application.
- Complexion and face glow enhancer: Enjoy a refreshed brighter complexion after washing your face with a mixture comprising of freshly squeezed tomatoes and cucumber juice. The antibacterial properties combined with the rich array of minerals present in tomatoes sets the foundation for a blemish-free healthy complexion.
- Sunburn remedy: Tomatoes are effective as a natural remedy for reddening of skin and nasty sunburns. A cooling tomato face wash with 2 teaspoon of tomato juice and 3-4 tablespoon of buttermilk cleanses the dirt and removes sunburn.