Dark leafy green, spinach is very good for skin and hair. The health benefits of spinach range from improving glucose control to lowering the risk of cancer and improving bone health. So, what are you waiting for? Try this delicious baked Spinach and cottage cheese recipe and tell us how did you like it.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium white onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- 250 gm tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch of brown sugar
- 500 gm spinach leaves, blanched and drained
- 500 gm cottage cheese, sliced
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Bread Crumb Topping: Toss together bread crumbs, salt and pepper; sprinkle 1 tablespoon oil and toss to evenly coat. Set aside.
- In saucepan, heat oil over medium heat; add onions and garlic and fry, stirring, until onions are softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in garam masala, cumin, salt and pepper; fry for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, stir in tomatoes and ½ cup water; simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice and sugar; remove from heat.
- Brush a baking dish with oil. Coarsely chop spinach; lay evenly on bottom of dish.
- Lay cottage cheese slices on spinach; top with tomato sauce, then Bread Crumb Topping.
- Bake in the centre of 400°F/200°C oven until bread crumbs are browned and sauce is bubbling, about 20 minutes.
Don’t look up now. Sit down and enjoy the dish you have just made.