Olive oil is derived by crushing Olives, a tree crop of the Mediterranean basin, and extracting the oil out of them through chemical and mechanical processes. It has numerous health benefits and is used in different countries for different purposes. The Mediterranean countries use Olive oil for cooking purposes and in India hitherto it was generally used for facials, massages and other kinds of beauty treatments. It is the only oil that can be consumed as it is, that is, pressed from the fruit.
Most people are apprehensive about using Olive oil in Indian cooking because of the notion that its flavour does not match the Indian flavours. It is the Olive Pomace oil, neutral in taste and flavour that is popular for use in Indian cuisine. It is commonly used in the preparation of tandoori dishes, biryanis, paranthas and curries.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil, considered as high grade (least processed and containing higher levels of antioxidants especially vitamin E and phenols), is particularly a popular ingredient for salad dressings, pasta, rice, fish, meat and vegetables. It can also be used for sautéing.
- Olive oil helps fight cancer, diabetes and coronary heart diseases. It checks bad cholesterol and increases good cholesterol in the blood.
- Helps prevent skin cancer and tumours. There are research indicators on Olive oil’s role in preventing colon cancer too.
- Light and easily digestible, it helps in the treatment of ulcers and gastritis.
- It is rich in antioxidants.
Olives For Skin & Beauty
With people who are seeking natural remedies for health, the topical application of olive oil is quite a preference. It:
- Works as a cleanser for the skin.
- As a moisturizer to soften skin.
- Reduces earwax build up.
- Is effective as shaving oil.
- Finds use in soaps and cosmetics treat dry scaly skin, especially during winter.
Keep olive oil away from light and heat. It has a short shelf life and can get rancid with oxidation and will turn bitter. Ensure that it is stored in a cool dark place and that the bottle is tightly sealed.