“Every woman must get a health check-up done as soon as she turns 18”- Dr. Poornima Ramakrishna, MBBS, MS (Mumbai)
A check-up need not be done only when you feel unwell but should be done even when you feel perfectly healthy too. Doctors believe that every woman must get a check-up done at least once every year to get screened for medical issues, potential medical problems, vaccinations and even to know how to make lifestyle changes. In some areas of health, women can do simple health check-ups themselves in the comfort of their homes
Check-ups that can be done at home include:
- Skin check – Look for any unusual moles or freckles on the skin at least once in three months. Visit a doctor if anything unusual appears.
- Dental – Clean your teeth regularly to reduce the risk of gum problems and tooth decay.
- Keep problems of arthritis and diabetes at bay by following a healthy diet that includes plenty of fruits and vegetables.
- Prevent getting diseases by exercising regularly. At least an hour of exercise is recommended every day.
There are other check-ups which require women to visit a doctor to get a thorough evaluation of their health done. Some of these check-ups are:
- Pap tests – A pap test is to look for any irregularities in the cervix so that the chances of cervical cancer are detected and stopped beforehand. A pap test must be done once in two years.
- Chlamydia – Occurring among sexually active women, chlamydia shows no symptoms. A simple urine test will show if the patient has been affected by this ailment. Women between the ages of 15 to 29 must get this test done.
- Obesity tests – BMI and waist measurement tests must be done every two years as obesity is the major cause of heart problems and diabetes.
- Blood tests – These tests should be done at least once in six months to keep a track of cholesterol and triglyceride levels. High levels indicate severe health problems for which medical intervention might be necessary.
Regular check-ups help detect problems before they get out of control. Do not neglect any health problems as they can even lead to death. Visit the women’s health section at your nearest Apollo Hospital to get age-related tests done.