Dengue is a viral disease it is transmitted by the infective bite of the Aedes Aegypti mosquito.
It occurs in two forms: Dengue Fever and Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever (DHF).
Dengue Fever is a severe, flu-like illness.
Dengue Haemorrhagic Fever (DHF) is a more severe form of disease, which may cause death.
KNOW THE SIGNS & SYMPTOMS OF DENGUE FEVER
- Abrupt onset of high fever
- Severe frontal headache
- Pain behind the eyes which worsens with eye movement
- Muscle and joint pains
- Loss of sense of taste and appetite
- Measles-like rash over chest and upper limbs
- Nausea and vomiting
Dengue fever may occur either as simple dengue fever with self limiting illness or patient may develop Bleeding Tendencies called Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF)
Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF) is a severe form of disease, which may lead to Dengue Shock Syndrome, a more severe form of dengue fever cause death
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS OF DENGUE HAEMORRHAGIC FEVER AND SHOCK SYNDROME
- Symptoms similar to dengue fever
- Severe continuous stomach pain
- Skin becomes pale, cold or clammy
- Bleeding from nose, mouth & gums and skin rashes
- Frequent vomiting with or without blood
- Sleepiness and restlessness
- Patient feels thirsty and mouth becomes dry
- Rapid weak pulse
- Difficulty in breathing
FAVOURED BREEDING PLACES OF THE MOSQUITO THAT SPREADS DENGUE
- Desert coolers
- Flower vases
- Plant saucers
- Roof gutters
- Refrigerator drip pans
- Cement blocks
- Cemetery urns
- Bamboo stumps
- Coconut shells
- Tree holes
- And many more places where rainwater collects or is stored.
PREVENTIVE MEASURES AT YOUR HOME
- Drain out the water from Coolers at least once a week and observe A Dry Day.
- Put two table spoons of Kerosene oil or Petrol in the coolers which can not be dried.
- Ensure that your Over Head Tank has a tight fitting lid
- Do not store water, if water has to be stored it should be done in the containers that have proper lids
- Ensure there is no waste material that is capable of holding water is lying in the premises /roof top etc. Discard it immediately.
- If an ornamental Pond/Fountain/Water Fall is being maintained in the premises, Zonal Municipal Health Authorities may be requested to introduce Gambusia- Larvivorous fish( small fish that eat up the larvae of mosquito) in these water bodies
HOW CAN YOU PROTECT YOURSELF?
- Use of mosquito repellent creams, liquids, coils, mats etc.
- Wear clothes with full sleeves and full pants with socks during the Transmission season.
- Do not wear clothes that expose arms and legs
- Children should not be allowed to play in shorts and half sleeved clothes
- Use bed nets for sleeping to prevent mosquito bites
- Remove water from coolers and other small containers at least once in a week
- Use aerosol during day time to prevent the bites of mosquitoes
- Use mosquito nets or mosquito repellents
- Keep doors and windows closed to keep mosquitoes out
Indraprastha Apollo Hospitals, Delhi has launched a Dengue helpline that you can rely on. Our doctors will answer your questions, clear your doubts and give you the right direction about this endemic disease.
Call +918130884433 anytime of the day, any day. We are available 24×7, holidays and Sundays included.