Apollo Cancer Hospitals, Hyderabad and CURE Foundation organized ‘Celebration of Life’ on the eve of Cancer Survivors’ Day on June 4, 2016, at Apollo Health City, Jubilee Hills. Chief Guest Ms. Regina Cassandra, Film Actress & Dr. Vijay Anand Reddy, Director, Apollo Cancer Hospital, joined Cancer Survivors and patients to appreciate their courage and to boost the morale of cancer patients undergoing treatment. Survivors shared their experience, responded to questions from patients, and celebrated the occasion by singing and dancing.
On this occasion, Ms. Regina Cassandra unveiled ‘Symbol of Resilience’ symbolizing life, enduring strength and resilient will to survive.
Citing the example of one of the cancer survivors present at the program, 85 year old Appalachari, who translated Bhagavad-Gita into Urdu and is attempting to compile a Telugu to Urdu dictionary after successfully combating cancer, Ms. Regina Cassandra said, “He is a true inspiration for all cancer patients with a strong message that cancer is curable and one can lead a normal life post that. In the past, cancer was dreaded by everyone, but in the recent years cancer care has made rapid strides with new treatments and techniques to treat cancer. However the key to cancer treatment is early diagnosis, which makes cancer treatment easy. Today 65% of adult cancers being curable is a significant progress and has been possible because of early diagnosis”. Stage 2, 3 or 4 cancers are difficult to treat, she said and advised regular annual check-ups after 40 years of age. She also pointed out that amongst juvenile cancers the survival rate is as good as 85%.
Dr. Vijay Anand Reddy said, “Cancer was always perceived as a death sentence, but not anymore. With latest advancements in technology and treatments made available, the zeal in the patient to fight cancer has made an enormous difference in the treatment of cancer patients. The cancer survivors who have successfully combated and conquered the dreaded disease are the real heroes. These heroes speaking and presenting their real life experiences is much more convincing to the other cancer patients and they too see a ray of hope. This builds the confidence of the patients to fight their battle against cancer”, he said.
Dr. Reddy said that there has been tremendous development in cancer treatment in the recent past. Minimal invasive surgery, targeted therapy, new chemotherapy drugs and high precision radiotherapy are some of the latest and highly effective arsenals in combating this disease. Unlike in the past, today we are able to cure almost 75% of the cancer patients. The remaining 25% is because of late detection.
(L-R) Ms. Sangita Reddy, Ms. Regina Cassandra & Dr. Vijay Anand Reddy interacting with Patients
(L-R) Ms. Sangita Reddy, Ms. Regina Cassandra, Dr. Vijay Anand Reddy & Dr. Hariprasad interacting with Patients
Ms. Sangita Reddy addressing the gathering