The flagship hospital of the Apollo Group, Apollo Hospitals Chennai, was established in 1983. Today it is one of the most respected hospitals in the world, and is also amongst the most preferred destinations for both patients from several parts of India, as well as for medical tourism and medical value travel. The hospital specializes in cutting-edge medical procedures. It has over 60 departments spearheaded by internationally trained doctors who are skillfully supported by dedicated patient-care personnel. It is one of the few hospitals in Chennai that have state of the art facilities for various health disorders.
It has been a pioneer among the hospitals in Chennai, and even in India, in many different treatments and procedures.
Apollo Hospitals Chennai – Milestones
- First hospital in India to perform Total Knee Replacement and the
- Pioneers of Birmingham Hip Resurfacing Procedure in India.
- Pioneers of multi-organ and cord blood transplants in India.
- Apollo Hospitals Chennai completed 10,000 Coronary Angioplasties in 2009. In the initial years, only Balloon Angioplasties were done, This progressed over the years to using metallic stents and medicated stents and further advanced in the recent past to doing many refined procedures like Multi-Vessel Angioplasty, Left Main Angioplasty and Bifurcation Lesions.
- Medical breakthrough was achieved in Cardiac Care at Apollo Hospitals Chennai – successfully completed 25,000 coronary bypass procedures including 10,000 beating heart coronary bypass operations.
- In less than three years since inception, the team at the Apollo Centre for Liver Disease and Transplantation, Chennai completed over 100 Liver Transplantations in June 2011, marking a noteworthy first-of-its-kind milestone in the city of Chennai.
- A 70% success rate in Bone Marrow Transplant.
- First Indian hospital to introduce newer techniques in coronary angioplasty, stereotactic radiotherapy and radio-surgery (for brain tumors).
- First Indian hospital to be awarded the 1S0 9002 and ISO 14001 Certifications.
- First hospital in South India to get accreditation from the Joint Commission International USA.
- Declared as a 'Centre of Excellence' by the Government of India.
- Rated as the "Best Private Sector Hospital in India" by The Week magazine.
- Winner of healthcare awards 2008, instituted by the Express Healthcare Publications (The Indian Express Group) for Overall Best Hospital of the year, Operational Excellence and Leveraging Global Opportunity
Other Apollo Hospitals In Chennai
Apollo Specialty Hospitals
Apollo Specialty Hospital, India's first ISO certified healthcare provider is today ranked among the top super specialty hospitals in the country offering advanced tertiary care in Oncology, Orthopedics, Neurology and Neurosurgery, Head and Neck surgery and Reconstructive and Plastic surgery. Equipped with the latest and the best technology, manned by a large pool of world renowned specialists and supported by a dedicated team of medical and paramedical professionals, Apollo Specialty Hospital offers specialty healthcare of international standards with outcomes matching those of the world's best hospitals. Further realising that stress levels will be high among the patients and their attendants, Apollo takes that extra step to ensure maximum patient comfort, so much so that its patient service is popularly referred to as tender loving care.The hospital offers several cutting edge oncology treatments including the Cyberknife and PETCT scan and was recently awarded the NABH accreditation - the Indian gold standard on healthcare quality
Apollo First Med Hospital
The Apollo First Med Hospitals is an initiative of the Apollo Hospitals group and offers the highest quality of secondary medical care across various medical disciplines. Established in 2002, Apollo First Med Hospitals, has within 4 years touched the lives of over 100000 patients, a standing testimony to its excellent patient care. As an integral part of the Apollo Hospitals Group, the 80 bed Apollo First Med Hospitals' strength lies in the perfect balance of excellent infrastructure, latest technology, dedicated manpower, all orchestrated to provide patient services of the highest standards.
Apollo Children's Hospital
Located in the heart of the city, just a stone’s throw away from the flagship Chennai Apollo Hospital , the Apollo Children’s Hospital is a 100 bedded facility, offering the finest quaternary-care pediatric specialties in the country. Complete with state of the art Neonatology care units ,Pediatric Intensive care facilities , state of the art Operating rooms including facility for complex cardiac surgeries, procedure rooms, laboratory services , dedicated clinics for chronic ailments, preventive health, developmental disorders and counseling services, the new hospital leaves no stone unturned in providing the best pediatric care. We have installed some of the most advanced technologies and other cutting edge equipments in cardiac and neuro diagnostics. The hospital is also staffed with 45 of India’s finest pediatric specialists and over 180 nurses.
Apollo Speciality Hospitals, Vanagaram
Apollo Hospitals, Ayanambakkam, equipped with the latest in cutting edge technology and staffed with expert doctors and patient care personnel is located at Ayanambakkam, a fast developing suburb of Chennai. The 260 bedded facility, spread over almost 135000 sq. ft, aims to provide tertiary care across several key specialities - with special emphasis on Cardiology and Cardiothoracic surgery, Orthopaedics and Trauma.
For more details on Apollo hospitals and clinics at Chennai , visit
Off. Greams Road,
Phone:+91-44-2829 0200/2829 3333
C.P. Ramaswamy Road, Alwarpet,
Phone:+91-44-3914 3142/3913 9139
Phone:+91-44-2243 2370 / 2243 3370
Sowcarpet, Chennai-600 079
Fax:+91-44 2529 6084
Useful Telephone Numbers
Board Number:+91 44-2829 0200/2829 3333
Emergency:1066/+91 44-2829 0792
Helpdesk:+91 44-2829 6022
Blood Bank:+91 44-2829 4870
Preventive Health Checkup:+91 44-28296633 / 28296655
Director of Medical Services:+91 44-2829 1358
PRO:+91 44 2829 6660
International Patients:+91 44 2829 6569
Children's Vacation Health Check at Chennai!
Know More »
World Health Day Campaign - Chennai
Know More »
Apollo Hospitals, Chennai performs the first simultaneous Kidney-Pancreas transplant in South India
Know More »
Apollo Hospitals Group completes over 1000 robot-assisted surgeries!
Know More »
Apollo releases Patient Safety Declaration!
Know More »
The Apollo Life Center launched in Chennai!
Know More »
International recognition for Apollo Health City, wins the prestigious 'International Medical Tourism Award'
Know More »